PDA

View Full Version : new tank, substrate thoughts?

Boyam
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 04:11 PM
Good morning, afternoon, and evening everyone.

I have seen plenty of responses to substrate topics but every tank has its own features requiring different taste and needs. i was hoping a few could put some time helping me reach my final choice.

Heres a short backround on the tank (s): im converting from a 29 gallon eclipse system; i know poor fishies. i had three fairly large discus(about 3-4") in this 29 gallon. i had to do daily water changes in order to just keep the ammonia down. now the new tank is a 90 gallon pre drilled all glass megaflow aquarium with a 200 gallon pro clear wet dry along with a magnum 350 polisher. i shortly too will be buying a ample co2 system.

heres what i am aiming for: i would like a plant friendly substrate such as Eco Complete or Seachem flourites for the rear of the aquarium. i will create a seperation for these areas via natural walls; such as, rocks and driftwood. and second i want a light colored gravel/sand for the front of the aquarium to give discus their full glow. this is where i need some suggestions because im not aware of any substrates palnts will be able to flourish in that is not red, black, gray, dark brown. im looking for a light gravel or sand that is a offwhite or a very light brown at most. this sand or gravel will be holding some smaller plants such as mosses, baby tears, grasses.

thanks for taking the time! thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Boyam
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 04:15 PM
Im sorry, i still have the fishies. did not realise i typed past tense. they are still alive and awaiting their new tank :-p

Boyam
Fri Nov 07, 2008, 04:23 AM
okay after a few days of trolling i think ive decided on eco complete with pool filter sand for display.

replies or not thanks for the help. all the other post did help a ton.

TW
Fri Nov 07, 2008, 06:28 AM
Sounds like you've made a good choice Boyam.