PDA

View Full Version : Seeking filtration advice

Doug Osborn
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hi All,

I'm getting back into keeping fish after 10+ years out of the hobby.

Have purchased a 6'*30"(h)*24"(w) which I'm slowly setting up as a display/planted tank with discus as the intended showcase inhabitants (besides the plants/aquascape ;-)

The tank holds about 850l and I'm looking for the right filtration set up. The filtration factors to consider seem to be:

1. Getting the mechanical/biological mix right
2. Achieving the 'rule of thumb' minimum of 4* tank vol turnover per hour (3400l/h)
3. Not creating turbulence (which discus apparently dislike intensely)
4. Ensuring that there are no 'dead spots' in the tank
5. The usual gang of considerations such as minimising cost, maintenance effort, power consumption, water changes, etc.

3 is probably achievable through some plumbing (outlets as PVC pipes with holes in, or an off-the-shelf equivalent).

Having done some reading and talking to (seemingly well-informed) LFS, a fluidized bed filters (FBF) seems like a good idea and would cover off the majority of biological filtering. The FBFs I've seen online have a reasonably low flow rate at around 900 l/h.

This leaves mechanical filtration and around 2500l/h to make up. Initially I was thinking along the lines of the Fluval FX5 but in the only rigorous published comparison I've been able to find between it and the Eheim 2080 the FX5 has an 83% failure rate (5 out of 6 died). Despite the warranty and price advantage, with that sort of reliability it seems inconceivable to purchase one.

So I'm thinking that a Pentair FB600 with suitable pump attached, plus an Eheim Pro III 2080 (1 unit first, then a second) with filter media biased to mechanical filtration would be the way to go. Or a larger pump/filter (pond?)

Any advice/comments on the thinking process so far? Does anyone have a similar sized tank and a combination that has worked for them?

Many thanks,
Doug

[also posted to 'the fish tank' - apologies for cross posting if anyone is seeing this twice]

taksan
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 01:14 PM
2 2080's and ditch the FB filter

AHC
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 01:26 AM
Hi Doug,

Welcome back to the hobby mate.

Im setting up a 760l tank at the moment and have plumbed my tank for 2 x 2080's. I have 2 outlets at each end of the tank and 1 inlet at each end of the tank. Using loc-line or similar with a Y split i can position the inlet water flow to varies parts of the tank. If you see my 'Tank Upgrade' post in Amazon garden you will be able to see (the photos are without the Y splits on the inlet flows but they will be on if i need to flow directions from the 1 inlet). I plan on using these to create the correct water flow needed to eliminate dead spots and promote water circulation around the tank.

Although i havent finished it yet, i really recommend plumbing the filtration as its quite easy for the benefits it has. What ever you do im sure you will do a great job. I cant wait to see! :cheers [/url]

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 03:54 AM
FBF's are great filters, i use a diy FBF on each of my bigger tanks, their biggest down fall is the complete lack of mechfiltraion. if you were to use one on your setup i'd have it set up to run off a sump. use the sump for mech filtration (and bio) and have your FBF plumbed in to run in the final chamber after the water has passed through everything else.

if you wre to use a FBF with a canister have the fbf after the canister as in using the 2080 as a pump to drive the FBF.

WORD OF WARNING my FB900 sprung a VERY BAD leak from where the blue base meets the clear filter body, this has happend to several other uses as well.

you could always go with 2080's these are the ducks guts and will be more than capable of looking after your tank, no mess no fuss.