PDA

View Full Version : ph levels

chipster55
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 01:58 AM
Hi all

I have just set up a future discus tank. I have a C02 sys with ph controller 2.5 wpg. I have an R/O system and am in the process of setting up a 35 gal rubbermade for water changes. I am using a 75 (R/O)-25 % ratio. I am doing a pretty heavily planted tank (55 Gal). I hope to add plants tomorrow..Waiting on delivery. I won't be adding any Discus for a while. This is a new tank as the center bracket broke in my old established tank. I kept the same filter and added a large mesh bag of gravel. I had some nitrite readings but everything is 0 now. I am going to add a couple danio's to check on the cycle..Questions:

1. I plan on setting my ph to 6.5 using the C02 system (and ph controller). If I understand this system right, I should not have to worry about ph swings provided my water changes have roughly the same ph. Is this correct.

2. I have a eco substrate with fine gravel on top..I plan on just trying to syphon garabge floating around the substrate..Obviously I won't be able to get alot of substrate. Will plants take care of areas I can't get to. I have been reading that plants thrive on this type of stuff for nutrients.

3. I had a bad outbreak of green spot algae in my last tank with plastic plants. After a year (no joke) of asking and trying different suggestions I finally got rid of it by removing phosphates in the water by using a phosphate removal media bag. It took about 2 months to work but no more scraping the sides of my other tank (75 gal). Both my tanks had this problem which leads me to my next question....I am kinda of hesitating adding phosphates back into this tank for plants...What do you think.
4.Do you think this tank is cycled and if not will the plants create a silent cycle..

Sorry this is so long but I hope to get all my answers with one post instead of continuous postings (which is not to say I won't have any more)

Thanks for your interest.

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 04:50 AM
1. ph meter should keep everything in check

2. caution here, any build up of organics will start to bugger up your discus, i dont keep discus in planted tanks anymore but thats just me.

3. green spot algae isn't too bad most of my planted tanks have it i wouldn't add phosphate to a tank i believe you get plenty from fish food and fish poo.

4 if you plant hevily from the begining you may never go through a cycle, i didn't cycle my last 3 planted tanks just planted VERY hevily at the start to this day ammonia no2 and no3 still read 0 (yes the test kits are in date and still read +ve for NO3 on my discus tanks).

chipster55
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks..I've already added the substrate so what do you recommend as far as cleaning with python..

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 10:51 PM
Give it a good deep vac in between the plants and in the open areas every water change, once a week or so get the smallest one you can and GENTLY do around the base of the plants.