PDA

View Full Version : Handling Discus

heckelboy
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 08:00 AM
My discus enjoy me touching / patting them. Some of them rub against my hand when it is the tank. They enjoy "playing" about 30 minutes before lights out after water changes.

At this stage I only play with them on weekends. Does anyone else handle their fish. I must say it is amazing. I wil get my wife to take photos

wyldchyld01
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 08:48 AM
i must say i'm jealous, my fish don't mind my hand in the tank so much but they don't allow me to pat or rub up against my hand.

B

Rgoganj
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 08:59 AM
I’m jealous as well,

Mine still head for the corners or under plants till they see food then they come out.

nag
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:39 AM
Hi:

All my eight discus did do something similar...
But after separation (as they paired up)...they are now cautious whenever I go near their tank...
I always enjoyed it, now I only wait for those moments to come back... :(
Bye,

kalebjarrod
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:50 AM
my fish alow me to get close and gentley touch them then they zoom away

nothing like what you are saying

I WISH :shock:

Mattzilla
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:33 AM
touching them is fine....you won't hurt them....if you notice marks in their slim coating then maybe consider stopping touching them or touch them softer.

otherwise, keep making most of us jelous and keep patting them and consider yourself lucky

matt

DiscusMan
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:53 AM
Most of my fish are not that keen on being close to my hand.

I do have a pair that didnt mind me touching them and now they are in a bigger tank with more fish they are still the same.

I most of the tiem move my fish with a net. But i have done the following.

Used a net to get teh fish into a bucket for transport. Upon arriving at destination simply put my hand into the bucket adn gently lift teh fish out of hte bucket and into the tank. The fish which is normally not a tame one just sat there and didnt seem overly fussed by it. I seen one of our entrants at our show handle his fish this way and gave it a go.

Make sure you are ready to get it in the tank if you do try it and it jumps out of your hand :)

Wayne

kkiu
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:42 PM
I use my hands to put discus into the tank.

Whilst watching the guys at SLS grab discus' out of a box and into the tank. They told me using nets damages the slim coat. Made enough sense to me, so i do it too now. Their spines feel interesting.

narny
Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah my huge 7 inch white swan does this, i can stroke him and he loves it. I think he thinks if he gets in my good graces i'll give him extra food or somthing. Not willing to stroke him at the moment as he has eggs with a large blue turq and keeps looking at me like he'd like to take a piece out of me lol... Mind you i'd be the same with babies !