PDA

View Full Version : discus prices

n_w_b
Sun Oct 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new in here and have absolutely no idea about discus pricing system..... :shock: Can some one please tell me how much people would normally sell a 10-11cm blood pigeon female or anything about the prices...
many thanks!!

Hollowman
Sun Oct 26, 2008, 03:52 PM
Depends on the quality. if it is a good quality fish, maybe £30 (not sure about Aussie $)
You need to be thinking that you need more then one fish, a group of 4-5 fish will make them happy with no bullying. You need to do a lot of research yet as to looking after them and their water requirements. What are the water parameters where you live? what size tank? planted or BB, what food ? what tankmates etc

Once you have more of an idea give a shout and we can help you

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 06:16 AM
Welcome to the forum nwb.

If you live in Melbourne, then you can just about guarantee your water will be perfect for discus, straight from the tap. Melbourne water is super soft, with a pH of around 6.5 to 7.

All you need to do is add something to remove the chlorine and heat it to the right temperature, and you're ready to go.

Pricing for a pigeon blood discus of medium size should range from $40 to $100 depending on quality.

Don't let anyone tell you they can sex a single discus with 100% acuracy. It's just not possible unless they happen to have seen them spawning !

If you're new to fish keeping, please read the section on cycling your tank. Don't be tempted to add fish to an uncycled tank. It's a recipe for disaster. Discus need a well aged or 'mature' tank.

Welcome to the wonderful world of discus. They are a very addictive fish. One more is never enough :P

n_w_b
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 07:08 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies! I have been breeding bettas but totally new and lost in discus world lol,..but yea, I have 4 discus: 2 turk and 2 blood pigeons... the guy in the shop told me to pick those two pigeons.. it turns out that they are both females =[ - I just feel so sorry for them, laying eggs all the times and watch the eggs go molding.... So yea, I am trying to find them a new home since the two turks are pair, they keep bullying these two pigeons....sigh*

I will just upload the pic of those two, i dont even know if they are good quality fishs or not, but they are sure fat to me hehe.

waitaki
Tue Oct 28, 2008, 12:03 AM
they look ok from what I can see, will need a side view to see the size of the eye compared to the rest of the body. The colour and marking are beautiful!

rwel4809
Tue Oct 28, 2008, 02:51 AM
They look like really clean pidgeons to me - hardly any peppering...

The pattern looks good too...

Nice fish :D

it's best to take a shot from the side with their fins extended so that we can see the shape and proportions :)

R