PDA

View Full Version : tank going to cave in my house?

keVerns
Thu Oct 23, 2008, 02:38 PM
ok, so ive been looking around for a new tank to house more display discus in, something to the size of 6to8x2.5x2.5ft...

now my house is timber flooring. relative new house... 4-5yrs old

now, something that heavy, guessing around at least 700-800kg plus sump etc, would my house cave in considering its gonna sit there for a long period of time? :oops:

guess i'd be expecting some floor warping due to weight pressure. but i dont want something that my floor cant handle.

looks like a stupid question. :oops: but yeah, i don't want a hole in my floor

swingn
Thu Oct 23, 2008, 11:06 PM
:lol:

Don't think you're going to have a problem.

Only real issues will be that the floor boards will get dented from the weight of the tank... How badly that happens of course will depend of the actual quality / thickness of the floor boards.

I have floor boards (Cheap ones that the previous owner installed) & they have marked up pretty bad with just my 150L tank... Don't want to know what's going to happen when I upgrade! :P

ILLUSN
Fri Oct 24, 2008, 01:35 AM
i'd personally only put such a tank on a slab but thats just me, i had an engineer check over the base on my place (40+ yrs old) when i wanted to put a 6x2x2 in my lounge, he sugested removing the floor in that section and replacing with cement. your place might be ok there was some ground movement round my place which made the pilars "not too crash" in his words.

keVerns
Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:57 AM
thanks guys, just ask a mate of mine thats a builder. my floors already cost an arm and a leg for some high quality wood, so shouldn't cut it out, but he suggested that a put extra pillars holding the beam to sustain more pressure.

volume calculator said its around 950-1250 litres

and thanks for the idea of the floor dents, ill have to cut out some flat surface piece of wood and place it underneath the cabinet to minimize damage.

thanks for your advice guys.