PDA

View Full Version : Removing the mother?

byrnsy
Thu Oct 23, 2008, 03:38 AM
Hi everyone, ive been reading up on what other breeders do when thier discus have fry and i have noticed a few people remove the female once the fry are swimming/feeding with the parents. Is there any reason for this? I have been watching my pair closely and only noticed today the female has been picking off one or two fry off the male and spitting them out several seconds later. Is this a sign of trouble and should place her back into the community tank or let them be? The fry started swimming with the parents about 4 days ago.

Mick

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 23, 2008, 04:52 AM
With young pairs if the female is ready to lay gain she'll eat the fry so the male will take care of the new batch of eggs, removing the mum stops that from happening.

byrnsy
Thu Oct 23, 2008, 04:57 AM
thanks illusn, since my last post and now i noticed less fry about so i have moved mum back into the community tank. Was hard trying to catch her without the fry. I think i'll remove her after she lays eggs next time that way i dont have to fight the fry over her.

Mick

Hollowman
Thu Oct 23, 2008, 05:28 PM
I would leave them alone, she isn't doing anything un-natural. The fry that she was picking off might not have been to her standards, she will learn the more she lays. You risk turning a perfectly fine mother into something she isn't ( an bad one, in your eyes)
The more you fret over it, the more you see which isn't there. They will learn, believe me.
I have found, that when trying to raise discus, you can never rush things, it never goes right the first time.
I think you will also find that most breeders will leave the fry with the parents for as long as possible, as long as the parent fish are willing to let them feed, keep them together.

hth

H

byrnsy
Fri Oct 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
so should i put mum back in with them then? Will there be any negative affects if i put her back in now?

Hollowman
Fri Oct 24, 2008, 04:48 PM
You could, depends how long she has been out. She might just eat the lot. If she has a good bond with the male it might be ok.

If she eats them, just put it down to experience. There is always next time.

:)

byrnsy
Fri Oct 24, 2008, 10:27 PM
Cheers Hollow. Thanks for the advice

:D Mick