PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE

discusfantasy
Fri Oct 17, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hi

Can someone pleaseeeee tell me where i can buy formaldehyde 36% ?

Allso whats the diff between formaldehyde 36% & formaldehyde 37% ?

I need It for my discus

Thanks

Hollowman
Fri Oct 17, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hi

Allso whats the diff between formaldehyde 36% & formaldehyde 37% ?

Thanks

Ok, I'll have a stab at this question........ 1% :lol: :lol: :lol:

Generally, you will only get Formaldehyde at 30%, check out the sponsors, they should stock it. It is used a lot by Koi keepers, so even your lfs might have it.

Make sure you take care when using it, it is a known carciogen, but also a very potent med, beware, and ask first. :wink:

Hollowman

DIY
Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:00 PM
As far as I know, the % really does just refer to the qty of "pure" formaldehyde in the solution or to put it another way the "strength". When I tried comparing aquarium med products with formaldehyde as an active ingredient what I worked out with some googling and reading was the % refers to pure formaldehyde gas (100% formaldehyde is a gas). That's why the strength is usually referred to as a % and not the more typical mg/l that most other active ingredients are referred to. Also formaldehyde 37% is a very common strength and is often referred to as Formalin.

Formaldehyde isn't a typical consumer product, if you want straight formaldehyde in any % strength here in Australia you will probably have to go to a lab supply company as far as I know - however lfs's stock the usual formaldehyde based meds (quick-cure, whitespot remedy, aquasonic F/MG, etc)