PDA

View Full Version : worming baby discus

m.ingram
Thu Oct 16, 2008, 07:24 AM
Hey everyone quick question.I have baby discus between 2.5 and 4.5cm in size can i worm these guys yet or should i wait til they get a bit bigger thanks mark

Hollowman
Thu Oct 16, 2008, 09:00 PM
Have you raised these from fry, ie: your own home bred fish, or did you buy them?

If you home bred them, why do you want to worm them? what symptoms are they showing?

Also what sort of tank are you raising them in, and what water conditions?

Hollowman :)

m.ingram
Fri Oct 17, 2008, 01:24 AM
i bought these fish several weeks ago they are in a 160 ltr tank right now ph ranges between 6.6 and 7 daily water changes are done. just noticed a couple of them are a bit thinner then the others. have seperated them but still not putting on weight.also feed them marilyns beef heart mixas well as live brine and other food which they eat but not getting as fat as some of the others.

lpiasente
Fri Oct 17, 2008, 08:36 AM
how about some pics. I want to see the babies :)

m.ingram
Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:12 AM
l.piasente you can come and see the babys on tues when you come to see me ok

lpiasente
Fri Oct 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
ok. I just wanted everyone to see them. :D

Hollowman
Fri Oct 17, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah, post 'em up :shock:

lpiasente
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 03:47 AM
Just to explain m Ingram is my brother and the baby discus he is talking about are the ones I have spoken about on the forum before. He is taking care of them as we thought instead of splitting them up they would be better staying together until they are all grown up. I want him to post some pics as they are really beautiful babies and I think we should show them off and some of them are so tiny and cute

m.ingram
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 07:28 AM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=59378&l=d2070&id=524267189

Above is the link to view the photos of the babies. The pic of the one on its own is my favourite fish, he's called NQR - Not quite right, due to the fact that he has "issues"! :lol:

Hollowman
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 06:07 PM
You have a mixed bunch there. In the first photo the 2 look stunted and deformed, I would cull them. The middle photo shows some lovely little fish, the good ones need to be divided and really looked after. The last photo also shows some stunted fish.
If I were you, I would start to cull the ones that are visably either deformed or stunted. This should leave you with a few special ones to grow on.
hth

H :)

waitaki
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 11:08 PM
I agree, there are some pretty well formed discus inthe second pic! Have you been feeding baby brine shrimp? mmm keep those healthy ones feed well!!!
thanks for sharing the pics

lpiasente
Sun Oct 19, 2008, 12:54 AM
There is 3 lots of babies in there. The second lot of photos are of the first batch and the 3rd pic is from batch 2 and 3 that is why there is so much difference in size. They have been fed brine shrimp, blackworm, beefheart mix from this forum and some dry food. Fed 3 times a day and daily water changes. The second lot of photos have been separated from the smaller but they will be divided again today. Mark is concerned that the smaller ones are not growing as well as batch 1 and 2 and we are wondering if there is anything else we should (well he) be doing to help with growth.