PDA

View Full Version : Blue Diamond

Trebs
Sun Jan 09, 2005, 05:53 AM
I was lucky enough to be lent a pair of blue diamonds to see if I can breed them. The male is absolutely huge, about 8inches including the tail. They are both in good health and are doing well in a q tank. I think they are about 2-3yrs old. The male, and to a lesser extent the female, has pinkish/tanish patches were it appears the scales are missing. They are also lack the glossy colour that is usually displayed on sub adult bd's.

I'd like to know if this is normal for mature blue diamonds to get this and if there is anything I can do to help repair the 'damage'? I haven't kept bd's before but most of the older ones I have seen have this appearance to some extent.

kalebjarrod
Sun Jan 09, 2005, 08:00 AM
where did you get them from?

Trebs
Sun Jan 09, 2005, 10:28 PM
A friend of mine that I've given some discus before, he's a private collector. It wasn't a shop or anything like that.

Mattzilla
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:38 AM
maybe salt to help heal external skin problems.... 1-2 tbl spoons per 40ltrs of water

DiscusMan
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:06 PM
Maybe the scales where displodged from the fish during the process of catching them to give them to you.

My Blue diamonds are always scratching fins off when they get a scare and bolt around they always seem to rub against something and lose some. Or even from having them in the net this does leave the patches you talk about. Maybe the shine is something to do with the lighting you have in your tank and other than that i have no idea.

Hope that you can get them to breed.

Wayne

Mattzilla
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:33 PM
of they show some pink colouration...it may mean that they have been fed heavily on colourbits..

they sometimes turn bd a pinkish colour

kkiu
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:33 PM
My leopard spot at one stage got a nasty looking scratch in a vertical fashion. (seemed really odd).

But given time, it healed without any problems. I think it was in a couple of days. Assuming the fish is healthy and all, it should be ok.

Trebs
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. He is slowly improving. With better food and water quality I'll see what sort of effect that has over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can get a pic soon so it's easier to show what's happening.