PDA

View Full Version : co2 fire extinguisher refil??

moldyform
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 03:08 AM
Hi
i have run out of co2 and need a refil. I have called one local guy in the Illawarra and he quoted me 120 each!! and said it would take a few days as they had to be sent to Sydney!!

What price should i be looking at for a refil of a 3.5kg fire extinguisher??

Also does anyone know anyone in the Wollongong area that will do a good deal??

Cheers

Hollowman
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 06:47 PM
Can't you go to a welding equipment supplier, they have CO2 and might be able to fill for a few quid. Also they will have small co2 cannisters used ofr MIG welding sets, if you have the right connector it wold work out far cheaper.

hth

H :)

DIY
Fri Oct 10, 2008, 12:22 AM
Pressurised bottle refills here in aus are very limited, welding shops and similar usually just rent the bottles in bulk from places like BOC etc.. and I haven't found any willing to decant co2 from one bottle to another due to the dangers involved.

The only places I've found tthat do co2 refills instead of the usual exchange system are some (not many) larger aquarium stores, and fire extenguisher supply companys - about $10/kg seems to about as cheap as you'll get.

DIY
Fri Oct 10, 2008, 12:23 AM
Almost forgot - some paintball places use co2 and may do refills too, worth ringing any in your area :wink:

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 11, 2008, 05:40 AM
thats a rip i use extinguisher sales and service in sydney the most you should be paying is around $70

moldyform
Sun Oct 12, 2008, 08:59 PM
yep found a guy who will do it for 70$.

Thanks guys.

Tommo
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 07:55 AM
Just so you know DIY there is a ripper of a place in Moorabbin for us Vics, as they will fill co2 bottles , but you need to call them to find out what day they fill , i got my Co2 6.5 kg filled for $20 bucks ! PM Me if you would like the details .

cheers Andrew

P.S sorry to interstate people.

Tommo
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 07:56 AM
Oh, also it is food grade Co2 , not that i really care as i have used industrial as well .

cheers Andrew

DIY
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 01:46 PM
I've been getting mine filled in moorabbin for the last 4 years, I'd reckon it's the same place - Levanswell rd?

TW
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 09:16 PM
I bought a 4.5kg bottle through my keg on legs. Refill on that size is $30 on a "swap n go" basis, so probably won't fill a fire extinguisher type. Guess you could ask.

Good thing is, you do still own a bottle, so you can sell it when you leave the hobby.

Tommo
Sat Oct 18, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hey DIY , yep you are right .

Cheers Andrew

DIY
Sun Oct 19, 2008, 01:46 AM
Hey DIY , yep you are right .

Cheers Andrew

gotta be the best place for a refill, thanks for the tip anyway Andrew :wink: .

Another place for CO2 in Melbourne is Grain N Grape, I think they are in maidstone - just like keg on legs they do an exchange system and don't charge an annual rental fee. You do have to buy the first one though of course.

moldyform
Sun Oct 19, 2008, 08:59 PM
So it looks like i should be able to get it a fair bit cheeper then 70$

Thanks guys