PDA

View Full Version : What ideal tank would you pick?

flgirl1977
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 01:08 AM
So.... it looks like we may be moving. Upon decision making, I've decided I may sell my current two larger tanks and upgrade to one large tank.

What would you recommend for an ideal size tank for discus? Should I just use the two eheim canisters for a larger tank? Maybe add a HOB filter for extra filtration? Decisions, decisions. Pre-drilled?

If I'm going to be starting from the beginning again, I want to do it right. I'm thinking 125 gallons?

Tell me what you would choose. BTW, where we're moving to, I don't want to do TOO big, since we will be renting....

Give me ideas on size, dimensions (inches would be nice) ;) , filtration, etc...

flgirl1977
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 01:08 AM
Oh... How would you decorate as well?

flgirl1977
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:16 PM
No one has any input? :(

taksan
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:05 PM
How many tanks do you have?

flgirl1977
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:58 PM
I have a 75 gallon, 40 gallon, 29 gallon and a 10 gallon quarantine tank.

I was thinking of getting something like a 90 gallon...or maybe a 125..

iro11a
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:31 PM
If i was renting not too big i would get a 4x2x3 foot tank and maybe a 2 footer for quantine hospital tank just in case,just my thoughts then you should be able to get 6-8 discus in that size tank

Jono

iro11a
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:32 PM
sorry i meant 4x2x2 :lol:

jasonmomm
Fri Oct 10, 2008, 12:53 AM
I agree, if your renting you don't want anything enormous.

4x2x2 sounds good - and a 2x18x18 hospital tank for emergencies.

As for decoration, personally I'd go for a fairly simple setup.
1mm gravel or silica sand, 1 medium size piece of driftwood with a couple of Anubias attached and leave it at that. Perhaps a nice amazon sword too.

Filtration - plenty of choices, but I'd go with either a built in trickle filter or 2 good quality cannister filters (Eheim 2217 or Eheim Pro's)

Just my opinion
Cheers
Jason

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 11, 2008, 05:56 AM
go a 4x2x2 tank insist on 10mm glass, stick an eheim 2217 at each end of the tank and angle spraybars at the sides to break up the current. as for decorations keep it simple get some nice drift wood and let it fall in random arrangements, i keep the tank bare bottom but if you dont like the sterile tank look get yourself some silica sand and add a light dusting bout 1cm thick to the base.

rwel4809
Sat Oct 11, 2008, 09:07 PM
go a 4x2x2 tank insist on 10mm glass, stick an eheim 2217 at each end of the tank and angle spraybars at the sides to break up the current. as for decorations keep it simple get some nice drift wood and let it fall in random arrangements, i keep the tank bare bottom but if you dont like the sterile tank look get yourself some silica sand and add a light dusting bout 1cm thick to the base.

Very good call ILLUSN

I jumped straight in with a 90 gal planted... But this is much harder to keep up than a the simple biotype arrangement ILLUSN has suggested, and much cheaper too, you won't need expensive lighting, CO2, not to mentions 100s of $ on substrate, plants, UV filters (although you might chose to go with one of those anyway...)

I wish I'd started Discus keeping that way, it would have been much easier and less expensive!

HTH

R

Jesseboy
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hey flgirl1977, I'm renting as well so im in the same boat and cant get a tank too big, Mine is a 4x2x2 I attached a photo for you might help with some idea's. Its just got 2 canister filters. few pieces of drift wood and assorted plants...also using filter sand as the substrate. and DIY yeast c02.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m210/jesseh_photos/IMAGE_025.jpg

Jesseboy
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 10:28 AM
sorry about the blurry photo

flgirl1977
Tue Nov 18, 2008, 04:10 PM
Good news! I found a nice 4x2x2 used tank and traded in my tropheus for the tank. I'm gonna miss those guys, but 22 trophs wouldn't be cheap to ship up north! Also, I sold my 75 and have my two eheims running on my other tank. I just filled up the 120 and going to let it sit for a week or so to make sure there isn't any leaks.

Not sure about a stand yet, might have someone make one for me, but if not.... I'll just sand the used one that came with it and re-finish it. Not the best in the world, but it will do for now.

After I sold my trophs, I sold my tank to a good friend of mine (he used to drool over my tank everytime he and his wife came over). I'm gonna miss that tank, as I had a nice pangea background in there. Anyway, got the money for that and bought myself a nice RO unit so I don't have to buy RO water anymore 2-3 times a week! After all, where we'll be moving, I'm not sure where/how many fish stores we have there.