PDA

View Full Version : Electronic pH meter

jesx57
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 07:52 AM
Hi everyone,

Today I went out and purchased an electronic pH meter (a digital one) from D1ck Smiths. If you have a look on the website, it's the $80 one.

So anyway, I was looking forward to trying it out and i followed all the instructions. Then I got to the part about calibrating it in the solution. First time I turned it on and it just went crazy, readings from 4.75 to 7.8. I thought that was normal, so I stuck it in the solution and waited for it to stabilize. Well, I waited, for about 15 -20 minutes with the readings jumping everywhere. Finally after a good hour, I got it to a reading of 6.96 to 7.03. Good enough. Then I went and tested it in my water (in a glass) and it did the same thing!

The instructions were absolutely rubbish, so I've come here for some help. How long is it supposed to take to get a reading? I'm just about ready to pull all my hair out. Please help me!

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:11 AM
Maybe you got a dud. I would exchange it.

Ado

jesx57
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Unless I didn't follow the instructions properly. I dunno, it has like this pen thing at the end which you stick in the water, but I'm not sure whether you stick it in past the electrode or just up level with the top of it. :(

DIY
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:49 AM
It's a dud for sure - get it exchanged :thumb

DIY
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:51 AM
Just re-read and saw your question - the glass bulb part at the end should be completely immersed.

jesx57
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 12:51 AM
I'll have a play with it over the weekend. It's supposed to be 'deluxe', don't know whats so deluxe about something that can't spit out a reading under a minute.

jesx57
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 06:35 AM
Haha, now I will have to eat my words. Left it overnight soaking in some water in the cap and went to calibrate it this arvo. Worked like a dream, I never knew this was so easy! Readings were extremely accurate, maybe the electrode just needed to soak, huh?