PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Questions

leezard954
Tue Oct 07, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi, all.

I've been keeping fish for a couple of years now and I'm ready to take on something new. I've been researching and researching and researching discus keeping and I've found LOTS of conflicting information so I have come to the source! :-)

I have a 55 gallon with a wet/dry filtration system that a friend gave me. I thought I could put together a great discus tank. Here are my thoughts:

STOCKING - I would like to include (discus of course), a dither fish like a tetra, bottom fish such as cories and/or a whiptail.
* Is this a good combination?
* I've read discus should be a mated paired or schooled. Are 4 OK in a 55? I've read 10 gal per fish, and I think 5 plus the others would be too much of a bio-load.
* If this stocking works, in what #s?

SETUP - I've read a few different things about plants/vs. no plants. I was going to heavily plant one side of the tank and use flourite as a substrate.

CARE - I've read many different conflicting articles regarding care. I'm already in the practice of weekly doing 50% water changes (more like 65-70%) with a light gravel vac via the python and a deep gravel vac every other week. Will this effort be enough or is it like some of the scarier articles I've seen where there are 50% water changes twice daily?!

WATER PARAMETERS - I, of course, keep track of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates with liquid reagent test kits, but I've never tested for water hardness and pH. I understand that messing with pH can be very very messy if not fully understood. How important are water hardness and pH, really? I've seen greatly conflicting articles on this as well.

I really like the idea of keeping discus. They are BEAUTIFUL, but I want to know what I'm doing to get it right or not even start.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Hollowman
Tue Oct 07, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Lee, how long have you got??? that was a loaded post Phew!!! :D

I have a 55 gallon

Ok sounds good to me

STOCKING - I would like to include (discus of course), a dither fish like a tetra, bottom fish such as cories and/or a whiptail.
* Is this a good combination?

Yes no problem

* I've read discus should be a mated paired or schooled. Are 4 OK in a 55? I've read 10 gal per fish, and I think 5 plus the others would be too much of a bio-load.

The figures are right, 10 gals per adult fish. So in a 55, 4-5 fish will be fine. Up to you whether you go for mated pairs, they will be more expensive. Sometimes nice to get younger fish and wait for them to do it, it's up to you though, and your pocket.

SETUP - I've read a few different things about plants/vs. no plants. I was going to heavily plant one side of the tank and use flourite as a substrate.

I would go for either one or the other, for younger fish a BB tank is best. For adult fish planted is fine. A lightly sand covered bottom can take the starkness out of a BB tank with bogwood ornaments is a good halfway point.

CARE - I've read many different conflicting articles regarding care. I'm already in the practice of weekly doing 50% water changes (more like 65-70%) with a light gravel vac via the python and a deep gravel vac every other week. Will this effort be enough or is it like some of the scarier articles I've seen where there are 50% water changes twice daily?!

Personally, I would ditch the gravel, but thats me, too many spaces to trap waste and uneaten food.
On my 300ltr tank I change 50% every 4 days. On my smaller tanks, 50% every second day.
Keeping your water quality good is the key to keeping discus.

WATER PARAMETERS - I, of course, keep track of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates with liquid reagent test kits, but I've never tested for water hardness and pH. I understand that messing with pH can be very very messy if not fully understood. How important are water hardness and pH, really? I've seen greatly conflicting articles on this as well.

I know my water is like concrete, and I have a ph of 8.2 IME do not mess with the ph, stability is better than buffering and having it change all the time. You will find that if you buy Stendker fish, they are used to hard water condition, Asian fish however are generally used to soft water. Check out the sponsors to see what conditions they keep theirs' at, if you find a good one, they can condition your potential fish to your local conditions before you get them. My fish are Asian, and live in my hard water.

Lots to think about. Good on you for doing some research, some well thought out questions.
I am sure others will have their opinions too.

Hollowman :)

DIY
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 12:08 AM
I am sure others will have their opinions too.
Hollowman :)

Yep, my opinion is Hollowman has given you some top notch advice :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not much I'm going to add other than If you heavily plant one side, most likely the discus will hide amongst the plants especially when stressed leaving the open side looking empty.. so I'm reinforcing H's advice of picking one - planted or BB, there is a third option of a few potted plants in a bb setup of course.

IME dscus become more confident and show themselves off better in larger groups, and it helps spread the aggresion. If you can up your w/c regime from 1 x 50-70% w/c a week to 2 (or more) then I reckon go for 5.

leezard954
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 12:32 AM
What is BB? :-)

DIY
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 12:33 AM
Bare Bottom :wink:

Hollowman
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 06:02 PM
Yep, my opinion is Hollowman has given you some top notch advice :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aww! thanks, I'm blushing :oops: :D