PDA

View Full Version : I got the Plauge

dthomo
Sat Oct 04, 2008, 01:41 AM
Hi All,

My tank has come down with the plague it started last night and is getting worse as the day goes on.

Problem is I cant find any Vet they will give me Metro. I have tried no less then 15 Vets.

The vet I use is on holidays for 4 weeks and no other vet at the pratice is allowed to sell Metro.

Does anyone know where I can get some Metro and get it fast.

Im in Campbelltown.

Regards,
Dave

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 04, 2008, 05:09 AM
That's rotten news Dave.

Go to your aquarium shop and get some Tetracycline.

It's another antibiotic that treats Plague, but the only problem is that it will also wipe out your bio filtration as well, so you'll have to do large daily waterchanges and redose every day.

Keep the tank dark during treatment, don't feed at all and maintain the temp at 30 degrees, no higher. Add several airstones to the tank so there is plenty of oxygen. Your fish have a greater need for oxygen when suffering from plague.

dthomo
Sat Oct 04, 2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks Merrilyn

I managed to find a Vet that was willing to sell me some Metro.

The fish are now in the QT tank with Metro now.

I will let you know how I go.

Regards,
Dave

Xtreme
Sat Oct 04, 2008, 08:48 AM
Quick tip is to use lots of salt to strip the slime coat off as quick as possible then treat with antibiotic then use small amount of salt to improve the slimecoat on the fish

All aquarium stores have tetracycline or bird shops have it as oxy b, its a antibiotic for birds really

I used another product as well to clean the system plus lots of water changes everyday

I think u might have to turn lights out with tetracycline ,not sure if its light sensitive

HTH