PDA

View Full Version : 2 confused females spawning at the same time

rheemas
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 08:20 AM
I have four discus in my tank and two paired up about 6-8 weeks ago. I have allowed them to go through the process for about 5 cycles. Initially they protected the eggs quite well but the eggs would disappear after 2 days. However, during the week the blue turk which I thought was the Male (seemed to be going through the fertilising process previously and has cone shaped organ) layed about 100 eggs!!! :oops: Then the Female blue diamond (sure of this one) ate the eggs and proceeded to lay her own in the same location on the intake pipe of the canister filter! Off course, the other (now known to also be a female) then proceeded to eat her eggs. The interesting thing is that because they seemed to pair up initially, they don't defend their eggs from each other.

I have a male pigeon blood which is now showing interest in fertilising the eggs but does not appear to have paired up with either of the blue females.

Is this a normal situation? If I separate one of the females with the male pigeon would this assist them to pair up instead?

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 08:28 AM
that happens all the time what you need to do now is get yourself a nice male BD or turk split youe existing pair when they are "ripe" and pair with the male of your choice.

rheemas
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the advice. I assume you are recommending a fish of the same type to keep the blood lines consistent? Will the female be happy with any healthy male or can they be picky about the partner?

Hollowman
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 04:59 PM
Pairs can be forced. It is nice for them to fall in love on their own though.