PDA

View Full Version : what do people use to cover the eggs

azza
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:58 AM
Hi guys my fish have breed again and im wondering what people use to cover the eggs so they dont eat like they always do come the 4th day of the eggs being laid.

If you could tell me what you use to guard the eggs that would be great thanks.

DIY
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 03:58 AM
I use Gutter gaurd, bunnings sell a roll of black plastic gutter guard for a few dollars just make a circle to go over the cone and either tie it together with fishing line or silicon it or even hot glue it together.

I'm currently using metal gutter guard as the female I've got spawning at the moment seemed to stress with the black plastic and ignore the eggs with it in place. The plastic mesh is a bit more intrusive being dark and larger diameter "wire" - the metal version doesn't seem to bother her at all. I also bought the metal roll at bunnings - about $9 from memory but you need to scrub it thoroughly in hot water with some vinegar added to clean off any excess galvanising (instructions are printed on the aviary version of the same brand mesh). I scrubbed it twice and left it in the vinegar solution (acid) for a few hours to ensure anything that might leech did so before i used it in the tank.