PDA

View Full Version : eating

dam0
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 02:15 AM
thanks alot, they are now in the tank, they are not eating atm is thias normal?

dam0
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 02:17 AM
thanks alot, they are now in the tank, they are not eating atm is thias normal?my discus are new to this tank i have added buffer, black water extract and they are not eating is this normal for them since i have only had them for not even 12 hours?

bartek
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 04:27 AM
Yes. Many fish not only discus may not eat when introduced to a new tank. Some fish can not eat for weeks.

What are you feeding them?

Do you know what they were fed at the place you got them from?

If you are feeding them something different from what they were use to then this will contribute to them not eating. Try feeding them what they were fed previously and see what happens.

At the end of the day there is no need to panic. I would start getting worried after a week or so.

dam0
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 05:43 AM
they where fed live black worms and NLS. i am trying to feed them the same things

flgirl1977
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'm just curious due to all of your questions you've had on this forum and the others.... have you done ANY reading before you picked up your discus? I know many people on the other forum have directed you here and I've even pointed out an area of frequently asked questions.

Most of the questions you've asked are easily answered in the FAQ section, but you still seem to ask the most standard of questions.

I really think it would be helpful if you read this section and educated yourself a little more on these fish.

As I've said before, it takes a true passion and commitment to care for discus, but it doesn't seem like you've really taken any time to read up and educate yourself the way you need to.

I wish you the best of luck caring for your fish and I hope your discus make it.

bartek
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 10:24 PM
Like flgirl has suggested you gotta do some reading yourself. Its the best way to learn.

Just keep trying to feed them and make sure you don;t overfeed them and faul the water.

How did you introduce them to the tank?

dam0
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 04:03 AM
i did do alot of reading, seems i did not do enough:(

i into them very slowly into there new water with a peice of airline tubing running water though it.

jesx57
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:47 AM
Try mosquito larvae, sends my fish into a frenzy, haha.

jesx57
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:48 AM
Forgot to ask, did you ask the store you bought them from what they feed their discus and what time of day, fish do like routine. Give them a chance to settle in, they'll let you know when they're hungry.

dam0
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 11:53 AM
Forgot to ask, did you ask the store you bought them from what they feed their discus and what time of day, fish do like routine. Give them a chance to settle in, they'll let you know when they're hungry.

no i did not ask what time of the day but i now what they have been fed and i am feeding them the same things, blackworms ect..

waitaki
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:51 PM
How are they going damO
It could take a couple of days for them to start eating - maybe a week.
Don't forget to clean up the uneaten food from the tank - don't leave it there thinking they eat it later;)
Have you left the light off until the settle into their new enviornment?

dam0
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 03:01 AM
okay thanks alot, yeah i left the light off for 2 days, they are swimming around though they are shy and there gills are moving a little to much about 3 times per second what should i do?

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 05:22 AM
Gill flukes is a possibility. Dont freek out though as it may be something else.

Ado

dam0
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 05:41 AM
i have added a video to see what u guys think of there breathing.
http://dam0.pictiger.com/images/16933481/

dam0
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 06:25 AM
i have added a video to see what u guys think of there breathing.
http://dam0.pictiger.com/images/16933481/

sorry that didnt work her is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKF4DqOx1Ws

pink66
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 08:05 AM
Hi I have looked at your video.. Your fish is breathing no quicker than my 3 that have just finished their QT stint.. They are fine and zooming around the new "palace"..

It did take one of them upto a week to start to eat and now they have been transferred into the main tank (yesterday) he is not eating yet.. (sulking) but I am sure the others will convince him to have a go soon.

regards, sharon :wink:

dam0
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 08:41 AM
cheers i thought they might have been breathing a little heavy:) :)

pink66
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 09:03 AM
Sorry, I forgot to add, that I asked someone the very same question not so long ago...

Welcome to the world of "discus parenting" :lol: :lol: :lol:

dam0
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 09:04 AM
haha okay thanks alot.:)

iro11a
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 11:14 AM
You got a nice fish there seems heathly he will eat soon just keep trying the food on him he dont seem to be breathing that heavily i would keep up water changes and the food for now seems heathly fish to me

dam0
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 11:28 AM
hey everyone i have a new video of my pair of discus.

my temp is 30C and ph is 6.9....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMBIWI6J8TQ check it out and tell me what u think everyone

waitaki
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hey dam0 the discus look great; they are very nice fish. They don't look that stressed. Keep their water clean, check the water parametres daily while they are in their new tank. Clean away the uneaten food, talk to them and give them names coz if you treat them right they will be with you for a long time!!

Hollowman
Wed Oct 01, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hi Dam,

Super Cobalts mate. Look after them, are they a confirmed pair?

H :D

dam0
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 01:49 AM
heya thanks alot, yep they are a confirmed pair, i cant wait for them to start breeding,

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 09:42 AM
Excellent choice. Lovely fish :P

dam0
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 10:11 AM
okay its been 5 days and by discus have not had anything to eat they seem to not like the food? im trying to feed them frozen pure vegie mix and frozen discus delux food.

flgirl1977
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 11:07 AM
Your discus are beautiful. Good job picking them out.

Are you sure they aren't eating? I know one of mine that refuses to eat while I'm in the room. Sometimes they will eat, just not when you're watching...

You may want to try frozen blood worms. If they don't eat those when you are watching, they will definitely eat it when you're not... give it a try.

It's not usual for your discus to not want to eat for a while when you get them. I'm sure some people will chime in here and tell you some of their experiences.

Good luck (and continue to read, it's your best defense! Google search 'discus care' and 'discus maintenance'.)

dam0
Sun Oct 05, 2008, 09:01 AM
hey all i got some frozen bloodworms, they did not eat in front of me but they did eat it :D