PDA

View Full Version : Cacatuoides (German) Double Reds

Hassles
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 07:05 PM
Some months ago I acquired a pair of Cacatuoides (German) Double Reds. I wanted to eventually place these fish into my community tank and placed them into quarantine. Within 3 weeks these fish had spawned and produced 31 fry (now grown) with only 1 casualty. These fish range in size from 6cm to 2cm. The larger specimens are of course obvious to gender and are mostly males (bred in PH 6.2) while the smaller specimens are somewhat unknown gender wise. The males have a significant anterior extension of the dorsal fin and obvious bilobated caudal with extended filaments.

Anyway I am in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs and if anybody would like to acquire some of my fish through purchase or trade I would be happy to discuss same.

thanks

please PM or call 0449-724-743

regards
Glenn

waitaki
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:31 AM
congrats on your brood

Hassles
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks Waitaki

If I have a similar experience with the Borelli Opal (just acquired) I will be a happy boy, They're goin' through the motions so I guess they must be happy enough. The only other time I had fish so readily spawn was a pair of Orange Spot BN earlier this year.They were spawing so frequently I gave the colony away to a Peppermint breeding fish friend who is now inundated with fry. These days I'm making room for the Apistos.

Thanks again

waitaki
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 10:41 AM
great! You are keeping them in separate tanks yeah? I believe apistos don't mix well??
Guess the pairs aren't going into the community tank after all!!
Have you got pics to share - would love to see them:)

Hassles
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
Yes, you are quite right, they both reside in different tanks. The Cac fry are all alone while parents are housed with some BN. The Borelli share with some honey blue-eyes and L066s at the moment but will get their own space shortly. I have 4 Borelli, all quite young and I am not entirely sure of the gender but I suspect I have 2 pair.

As I am a print film / transparancy photographer and not digital I am affraid I cannot share with you the wonder of the double reds. A few of the males are easily 6cm & colouring nicely, the finnage simply stunning. I am taking a few down to a fish auction this weekend.

waitaki
Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:42 PM
good luck with the sale - too bad we don't get to see them:(

boydvd
Mon May 04, 2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Hassles,

do you have any of the cockatoos for sale still?

kristina
Sat May 09, 2009, 02:22 AM
hey boydvd,
Glenn (hassles) works long shift work and occasionally is hard to get on to by leaving a post on the forum. Your best bet is to pm or call 0449-724-743. I think all of his fish have gone berserk spawning lately so you have a good chance of buying some of his apisto's. Hassles focuses more on overall body and fin shape of his fish if you were interested.

boydvd
Tue May 12, 2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks kristina,

I gave Glenn a call and hopefully i can pick up some of brood tonight.

Cheers

Tai

kristina
Tue May 12, 2009, 04:01 AM
I am so jealous! check out his fish if you get a chance and tell me what they're like, I have been hassling him to take pics for a few months, and unfortunately I don't live close.

boydvd
Tue May 12, 2009, 07:44 AM
will let you know how they look. and I'll take pics of the ones i buy and post for you. :o

Tai

Hassles
Tue May 12, 2009, 08:13 AM
will let you know how they look. and I'll take pics of the ones i buy and post for you. :o

Tai\

hey, can I squeeze in a royalty here :wink: heh heh heh

boydvd
Tue May 12, 2009, 12:15 PM
royalties, sure! :D

here a pick of the cocky i got from you tonight. he's a cutie. one of the females has patterning like him and a bit of colour in her finnage. maybe she's a he? :)

will try and take more pics and let you know how they like their new home.
Kristina, Glenn has so many fish and tanks. was cool place to visit!!

thanks for the fish!

Tai

kristina
Wed May 13, 2009, 03:05 AM
Jealous. So Jealous. Jealous enough that I can't say any more. GRRR. Perhaps I should go to Melbourne for a holiday soon. :x :x :!:

kristina
Wed May 13, 2009, 03:09 AM
Jealous. So Jealous. Jealous enough that I can't say any more. GRRR. Perhaps I should go to Melbourne for a holiday soon. :x :x :!:

BigDaddyAdo
Sat May 16, 2009, 10:13 AM
Its sooooo hard to find nice apistos in Sydney......

Hassles
Mon May 18, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hey Ado

That sounds weird to me because from my perspective you seem to have better access to Apistos than we do here in Melbourne. I have been hassling my LFS for 12 months to get me more Apistos and most of the time my efforts go unrewarded but.....I have managed to acquire a nice array of fish. Yes, I wish I had a digital.....the jurensis are gorgeous :wink:

BigDaddyAdo
Mon May 18, 2009, 10:52 AM
I see apistos around, very few are worth buying though.....

kristina
Thu May 21, 2009, 04:16 AM
I know exactly where your at Ado. go to B&C at matraville. They have the best apisto's in sydney IMO. Last time I went they had a nice array of them too. There must have been about 5 or 6 different species, including the microgeophagus of course. Other than that you have got very little hope unless you find a good breeder.

gingerbeer01
Thu May 21, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hassles,

Melbourne looks good from here

http://keysboroughaquarium.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&zenid=a0afab2f10d826ee9c8d302a334def0c

Pity it is wasted on victorians :twisted:

kristina
Fri May 22, 2009, 01:42 AM

hahahahaha! :lol: well, the fashion is better down there, give em that much.

boydvd
Fri May 22, 2009, 02:12 AM
some of my best friends are Victorians!

kristina
Fri May 22, 2009, 02:17 AM
your fish? :lol: kidding, kidding, I have friends and family down that way too. It is a lovely place, really. Krikey, I was born down that way.

boydvd
Fri May 22, 2009, 05:34 AM
haha, yes my fish, amongts others :)

harley
Fri May 22, 2009, 08:41 AM
Melbourne may have the selection but looks like they have the prices to match. I'm not sure what prices others expect to pay in the city.

My LFS has Apistos starting at $16.50 each up to $23.50 ea for A.Hongsloi.

gingerbeer01
Sat May 23, 2009, 08:00 AM
Often (but not always) there is a reason for price difference.

Typically it is where it is imported from. Local bred can be a lot cheaper than asian and the most expensive being German stuff.

Hassles
Sat May 23, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hassles,

Melbourne looks good from here

http://keysboroughaquarium.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&zenid=a0afab2f10d826ee9c8d302a334def0c

Sorry to disappoint you but those web pages are decidedly out of date. They don't keep Apistos anymore as they find there is no demand. They also do not import from Germany but import independently from elsewhere apparently.

Best we can do (which si what I do) is determine wehats available from the Germans and harrass my LFS manager to harrass the importers. This is how I have acquired most of my Apistos.

I think Brisbane would enjoy a source of Jurensis if you wanna breed them.