PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what strain these are please ?

Scat
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hi :D

I bought 2 new discus yesterday and one was labeled a golden pidgeon blood and the other a golden albino but these look far from it for me and would like know other people opinions please :D

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/scat35/Newgoldenpidgeonfrompacco27-8-08.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/scat35/Newmysterydiscusfrompacco27-9-08.jpg

Thanks for the help :D

Craig

topline
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 05:00 AM
Hi Craig

I was looking at those myself yesterday. Quite liked the colours. The name has never been important to me as mine are purley for display...

I held off purchasing as I didn't like the condition of some of the fish in the same tanks. The top photo seems to have some sort of fin/tail rot??

I am holding off buying for a few weeks to see how they look in his tanks. I realise this may mean I miss out, but not prepared to take the risk myself.

Let me know how they come through the quarrantine process...

Cheers
Brian

Xtreme
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 05:03 AM
Hi there,

Both fish u have there are pigeon based,
no albinos there mate sorry

Scat
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the help guys :D

Brian i did notice the slight damage around the edging of the tail fin and put it down to water quailty to which im confindent will heal up nicely soon apart from that i thought the overall quality was quite good.

They are all in a quarantine tank atm and im treating them for worms so they will be watched closely over the next 2 weeks.

I do like these guys and will be interested to see how they grow out :D

Cheers
Craig

Fons van der Hart
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 07:19 AM
There are no official names for those colors.

It depend on the breeder which name he wants to give them. If I should have breed them I could give them any name I want.

The better the fancy name, the more you pay :lol:

mcloughlin2
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
They look like a basic quality golden pigeon discus to me. Both of them should develop striations on the body as they mature.

Hollowman
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Craig,

I certainly hope you never paid for an albino, niether are, an albino's will command a higher price tag.

As has been said, both are PB based, might be some golden in there. I prefer the second one, better shape. Keep an eye on the fins of the first, with good water they will improve. Good luck.

H

waitaki
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hi scat - still buying discus :) :) :) this is what a golden albino looks like.
He was sourced from A1 Aquariums. She is a Tony Tan discus.
Notice the red eyes

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/tuataress/albino.jpg

Scat
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:56 AM

Maybe he said albino based, anyway im happy with them :D

Btw your albino looks fantastic :D

Craig

Fons van der Hart
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 06:34 AM
anyway im happy with them :D

That's the spirit Craig.

Whatever they call your fish, even if everyone say they don't like it it's YOUR fish and you're happy with them, what's the most important thing.

Hollowman
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 05:39 PM
Fons, I don't think they are bad fish. The second one looks like it has potential to be nice once fully grown.
I just have a thing for sellers not knowing what they are selling :roll:

H

Fons van der Hart
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 05:42 PM
Hollowman,

I didn't said they are bad fish. I agree with you they have a good potential.
I only mentioned Craig not to listen to what anybody else say, just follow his own choice.

Hollowman
Mon Sep 29, 2008, 05:59 PM
Absolutley Fons, i agree :)