PDA

View Full Version : Cannister filter clean...what did I do wrong??

carnival
Sat Sep 27, 2008, 06:07 AM
I recently set up a Eheim 2224 pro, today is the first time I've cleaned it after about 2 months of perfect operation. Everything seemed easy until I started it back up again, then things went a little haywire.
Having rinsed everything in water from the fishtank, I put the trays and filter pads back the same way they came out.....reconnected the taps and opened up both switches to allow the water to fill the cannister, this is where things went wrong.
I could hear the water running into the cannister but when about half full, air bubbles and what look like filiments from the fine filter pad blew back into the tank from the intake pipe. I guess I've missed a step somewhere in the process but not sure where. Its working perfectly again now but sure did make a mess of the tank for a while.
Could some give me a quick rundown on the correct proceedure for cleaning and restarting the filter.
Im sure my Discus were all in the corner having a good laugh at me making such a muck up of simply cleaning the fileter......lol
Peter