PDA

View Full Version : will my discus breed in a 4 foot tank

dam0
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
hello,
will my discus breed in a 4 foot tank its 160litres and will only have 2 breeding discus, is this enough space for them to breed?

iro11a
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:30 PM
They will breed in a tank that size if you let them but i would get another tank about half the size because the fry will get lost in the darkness you need a smaller tank so that the fry can find the parents easier hope that small info helps

dam0
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 01:54 PM
They will breed in a tank that size if you let them but i would get another tank about half the size because the fry will get lost in the darkness you need a smaller tank so that the fry can find the parents easier hope that small info helps

sorry u dont make any sense! :)

Hollowman
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:06 PM
Sorry Dan, it makes perfect sence.

When wrigglers (hatched eggs) become free swimming (after 3 days-ish) they can get lost very quickly. The parent fish do not always find all the fry, in fact quite often they loose many, even in a small tank. If you have a smaller tank, 18 x 18 x18 inch cube, or a 3ft x 12 x 18 something of that nature, you can then do BIG water changes far more easily, and handle the breeding process much better.
When you get free swimmers, we normally lower the water to just above the tallest parent fish, this gives the fry more chance of finding the parents and sucessfully attaching to them. Once this occurs, then raise the water level again

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Hollowman :wink:

iro11a
Sat Sep 27, 2008, 01:37 AM

sorry u dont make any sense! :)

I dont see how you dont understand that but anyways :lol:

Dave+Amy
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 07:58 AM
what's a recommended breeding tank though?

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 08:04 AM
Or you can simply divide the tank. That way you still have a larger volume of water without the issue of the fry getting lost.

Ado

pink66
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 11:14 AM
I agree, a 2ftr to start off so the babies do not get lost..

I am sorry in advance for the following statement,
my first thought when I saw this question was ...

"Only if they want to" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pink66
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 11:15 AM
I agree, a 2ftr to start off so the babies do not get lost..

I am sorry in advance for the following statement,
my first thought when I saw this question was ...

"Only if they want to" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

waitaki
Thu Nov 06, 2008, 09:13 AM
2 ft cube tank - perfect for breeding tank!!

dam0
Thu Nov 06, 2008, 09:33 AM
well i am going to divide my tank up when they have babies :) thanks everyone!