PDA

View Full Version : Floating Pellets

GhostFish
Wed Sep 24, 2008, 04:51 AM
I just got myself some discuses and read about their nutrition extensively. However, when it comes to pellets, everyone refers to sinking pellets and not floating pellets. Is eating floating foods at the water's surface not healthy for discuses? I want to also feed my discuses floating pellets as a variety to make them surface. Any opinions on this?

Hollowman
Wed Sep 24, 2008, 06:46 PM
Why?? :?

Why do you feel the need to make them have floating pellets. You will find that many types of granular foods will float for a few minutes them slowly sink.
Discus are naturally grazing fish, this means that they will take food as it swims/falls past them, as well as poking around on the bottom picking up fallen food.
My issue with purely floating food is that when they eat it, they might be taking in trapped air pockets, and this will cause bloating leading to a gut problem/constipation.

There are many good makes of granular foods, Tony Tan's, Tetra Prima/Colour Bits to name a couple.
Granualr food, as you know, as you have read extensively, should not be an only food source, but part of a varied diet. Also feed blood worm, white worm, artemia (brine shrimp) beefheart mix black mosquito lavea, brandlings, and so on.
As you are new to discus keeping I would recommend that you don't try to do things differently, there is no need. As you read more you will see there are several 'rules' that will be the basis of your fish keeping routines, keep these going and you will have many years of stress free keeping.
hth

Hollowman

GhostFish
Thu Sep 25, 2008, 04:22 AM
Exactly the explanation I needed to hear.

Thanks!