PDA

View Full Version : Black Ghost Knife

luisprado
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 04:39 PM
I have a black ghost knife in with my Discus. I have owned the bgk for almost a year now and it has never been any trouble. It is almost 10 inches big now and he has been getting more aggresive lately. Is there any danger of it hurting my Discus? I have 10 discus in my 80 gallon tank, ranging from 3 inches to about 5.5 inches big.

chris
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:59 AM
The bgk should not harm the Discus, but a night they can get more active, and may freak out the discus?

Scribble
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:49 PM
We have had a large BGK in a tropical community tank (no discus) for years and it has never attacked/harmed anything, but it does come out a fair bit at night.
I would probably not keep one with discus only for the night time activity that may disturb the discus. On the other hand, i cant see discus dying from a little activity at night.

jim
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:03 PM
maybe it will came out at nite eating your small tetras while you are sleeping...

noskie
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 05:11 AM
our tetras are too smart for that ;)

Majesticaquatic
Fri Jan 14, 2005, 03:39 PM
BGKs are beneficial to your Discus, once they are established in the tank watch for the Discus to go to where the BGKs lair is for a nice parasite cleaning :shock: Eventually you will see your Discus go to that location on a regular basis for thier cleaning services, best of all the BGK does not charge for this service.. :wink:
A 'caveat' here, once the Black ghost becomes Lrger than the Discus it CAN become too aggressive in this task and do some damage.. I reccomend trading in large ones for smaller ones once they get at about 6in. size... 8-)