PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Discus

TW
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice.

I am buying some discus privately & so will not be able to have oxygen added to the bags, like you do when you buy fish from LFS.

Provided there are no glitches with traffic, trip home should be around 40mins.

I was thinking about putting the discus into a 20L tub, sealed with a lid, but with air holes punched into the lid. But maybe the fish will be more stressed from being tossed around in the tub, then they would be in a plastic bag, without oxygen.

I'm not sure what to do & what's best for the discus.

Hoping someone has some advice.

thanks in advance,

lpiasente
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 11:39 AM
Have just done this myself on the weekend with an hour and a half trip. we used a large plastic tub and put an airstone attached to a battery operated air pump and it worked a treat. pump was about $15.

costatoolio
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 09:31 PM
hi there. i purchased a discus in geelong not long ago and had to travel about 3.5 hours to get home. The guy at the lfs didnt even add additional oxygen to the bag. he said to have minimal water and have more air in the bag when u tie it up which gives u more oxygen - worked a treat for me. the fish travelled really well. i also kept a jumper over the bag to keep direct sunlight off it.

AHC
Wed Sep 24, 2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah 40mins will be ok in a bag.

peppermintman
Wed Sep 24, 2008, 10:31 PM
All should be good as long as the water doesnt get too hot cause they will breath heavy and stress. More oxygen than water in container and i put in a styerfoam box for cushoning.