PDA

View Full Version : neons

lpiasente
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 01:40 AM
Iknow this is a discus forum but as my neons are in the same tank as my discus I thought that I coud ask here. I have noticed that my neons have white frayed edges on their tail and fins and some have blisters on their mouths. I have tried look up what this could be but can't find anything about the bisters. Any ideas

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 04:56 AM
Is the red colour on the body faded and washed out? I'm not 100% sure about the blisters on the mouth as being a symptom, but faded colours and frayed fins is a sign of "neon tetra disease" which unfortunately is not curable.

As the disease progresses, the spine will begin to curve and death will follow shortly after. It's passed to other neons by picking at the carcass of the dead fish, so best to remove any that are affected to prevent further infection.

lpiasente
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 05:25 AM
I did look into neon tetra disease but the blisters threw me as it wasn't a symptom. My emperor tetras have the same thing.They all still have good colour but I guess it is better to put them all out of their mysery before it gets too bad, the blisters would have to be painful. They don't all have the blisters but the fin thing they do so I would be guessing the blisters will come along soon. I hate to put them down, it's horrible but for the sake of the other fish as well it's probably best.I hope that the blue diamond doesn't have something from them. It al happens at once doesn't it !!

Radix
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 09:25 AM
I have had this problem as well, I tried many different treatments with no success. The disease also spread to my Cardinals and have lost most of these too, I have searched the net for these symptoms and while it looks like neon tetra disease the blisters also threw me.. I have looked around my local fish shops and some of their neons also show these symptoms, the white framed edge on their tails/fins..one guy simply refuses to stock them currently..

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 12:59 PM
I'll do some more research and see if I can come up with anything.

Must admit, that blisters on the mouth is not something I've seen before. Hopefully one of the other members may have an idea.

We've got a few medicos on the forum. Let's wait for their opinion.

lpiasente
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
My mother inlaw also had this happed to her around six months ago. I have had my tetras for over a year and haven't put any new ones in there.

Andrew Soh
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 03:03 AM
Could your tank be a planted tank? If it is, it is a sign that some thorough cleaning needed to be done.

The undergravel may have populated itself with too many micro-organisms that has become over populated and thus started working within the water-body too and attacking fishes (not necessarily bacteria).

One simple task is to clean the tank thoroughly including the undegravel (don't have to take out...just stir well and siphon) and clean all the live plants and objects in the tank.

If you tank is without gravel, then wash thoroughly and put in salt 100gm per 100 litres of water (1ppt).....and a prophylactic dose of acriflavine.

Take care,

Andrew :wink:

Andrew Soh
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 03:04 AM
Could your tank be a planted tank? If it is, it is a sign that some thorough cleaning needed to be done.

The undergravel may have populated itself with too many micro-organisms that has become over populated and thus started working within the water-body too and attacking fishes (not necessarily bacteria).

One simple task is to clean the tank thoroughly including the undegravel (don't have to take out...just stir well and siphon) and clean all the live plants and objects in the tank.

If you tank is without gravel, then wash thoroughly and put in salt 100gm per 100 litres of water (1ppt).....and a prophylactic dose of acriflavine.

Take care,

Andrew :wink:

lpiasente
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 08:44 AM
Yes it is a planted tank. I do a deep gravel clean twice a week when I change the water but I have been over feeding. Thanks again for your reply