PDA

View Full Version : naughty naughty me

lpiasente
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 05:17 AM
Ok I have gone and done the ultimate no no. I got some beautiful babies yesterday (wasn't going to bring them home but did) and put them straight into my already established tank. I did get them from a good breeder and trust that he has done a fabulous job and no disease. So now babies are a little smaller than what I already have and they are getting picked on terribly. One isn't feeding at all. I would like to put them in my bb tank that I have set up as a hospital tank (not used yet) but it doesn't have a cycled filter in it only the heater and a large air stone. As I will be doing water changes daily will this be ok? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 07:50 AM
Oh dear. Just when you were going so well LOL.

Okay, at least you've had the good sense to ask for some advice.

Definately put the babies in the bare tank. I'd suggest you get hold of a cheap sponge filter and use that instead of (or in conjunction with) the airstone. You can quickly cycle a new sponge filter by squeezing some of the filter media from your already cycled tank into the new tank. In fact, the dirtier the better.

Keep up with the daily water changes and check constantly for ammonia. Even the slightest reading of ammonia will kill your babies.

lpiasente
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 08:02 AM
ok will do that, thanks Merrilyn.

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 08:05 AM
How many babies did you get, and can we see some piccies?

We all love baby piccies :P

lpiasente
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 08:52 AM
Well I got 25 :D . But don't panic yet. My brother has a bb set up at his house with 20 of them and they are from 2cm to 5cm. He has had Discus for years so has done it all before. I took the bigger 5. Three are a good size but 2 were too small and they were the ones I put in my bb. 22 are marlbro reds, 1 bue diamond and 2 snow white. I was going to buy just a couple of babies from one of the guys on here,he was going away and needed to get rid of the others so we took 'em all home. His fish were just amazing, so healthy. I will post some pics soon.

lpiasente
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 10:14 PM
One is doing really well. Out and about and feeding very nicely. The other hasn't eaten at all. I am feeding her what she was being fed before she came home with me. I have offered her the beefheart mix and brine shrimp, not interested.I have a fake mangrove root in there and she just hides in it. Should I take it out?

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 22, 2008, 12:48 AM
Twenty-five :shock:

You don't do things by halves, do you :lol: :lol: :lol:

But that's great, I've done the same thing myself :wink:

Now, we need to get that reluctant baby eating. I think remove the hiding place and force the baby out in the open. Keep offering the food he was used to and keep up daily water changes.

If you've got 5 at your place, all pretty much the same size, I'd be inclined to put them all in the quarantine tank for now. The baby may feel safer in a group.

Fingers crossed for you.

Good luck.

lpiasente
Mon Sep 22, 2008, 12:57 AM
Well as they were so small we thought their best chance was if they were kept all together. I took a small internal filter from one of my other tanks so it is fully cycled. I will remove the mangrove root.

lpiasente
Mon Sep 22, 2008, 07:13 AM
She is out and about and swimming around like life is all good but still not eating. When I say she is a baby she is about 4-5cm in body.So she is still little. How long can she go without eating? Stubborn little thing. :(

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 04:46 AM
She can safely go for a week at that size, but I hope she doesn't decide to hold out that long.

Go on a hunt for mozzie wrigglers or some live brine shrimp. Food that moves is hard to resist.

Good luck.

lpiasente
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 04:54 AM
Closest live brine is 1hr away, I think I will hatch some myself. :) She seems happier now swimming around everywhere. Still haven't seen her eat yet. Naughty little thing

lpiasente
Tue Sep 23, 2008, 10:35 PM
Wohoooooooo she is eating this morning. It isn't alot but she is bobbing up and down on the botom of the tank and having a nibble. I think these discus are going to turn me old before my time with worry. :shock: