PDA

View Full Version : MH stand???

Davo
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:58 AM
I have a Aqua One MG1500 MH (5ft long) light for my 6x2x2.5 tank. I am unable to suspend it from the ceiling and will probably place it on the bridges on the tank. It comes with plastic brackets which place the light fitting about 20cm above the tank.

I am concerned about the weight of the light fitting. Will the braces be able to hold the weight of the fitting. The tank builder assures me that the braces will support the weight. I have seen some setups that have MH lights suspended from stainless steel tubing that are secured to the rear of the cabinet. The pipes are bent at the top and the light fitting cable is secured to the pipe.

I trust the tank builders judgement but I like the look of the stainless tubing and was wondering if anyone has this type of lighting setup or knows where to purchase them/get them made etc.

Regards,
Dave

aquafrogstuff
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 11:34 PM
Even though the MH light carries some weight, the plastic brackets distribute the weight across the glass ribbing. If you're still concerned about the weight, you could fix the brackets to a piece of wood (75x19xtank width (treated pine)) on each side to distribute the load all the way to the tank edges. It'll ruin the aesthetics, but will deal with the load distribution you're concerned about.

HTH, Dwayne

AHC
Mon Sep 22, 2008, 03:00 AM
Hi,

I made my bracing from aluminium which was very easy. Here is a photo but you can see my post here.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17326

Please excuse the photos as i posted them all in the wrong order. Really makes it harder to view but you get the gist. PM me if you want more info.

AHC
Mon Sep 22, 2008, 03:03 AM
Hi,

I made my bracing from aluminium which was very easy. Here is a photo but you can see my post here.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17326

Please excuse the photos as i posted them all in the wrong order. Really makes it harder to view but you get the gist. PM me if you want more info.