PDA

View Full Version : New discus

Nap1611
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
Are there any tricks to adding new discus to a tank with a pair already residing?

I'll probably be getting 1 or 2 more tomorrow. Just wondering if any one has any advice on how I should go about the introduction?

lpiasente
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:06 AM
If you add just 1 it will most likely get bullied 2 or 3 would be much better.

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:10 AM
Just before the new fish are added (and better two fish rather than one) move a few things around in the tank so the original territories are broken up.

This has the same effect of putting them into a new tank altogether. Everyone starts off on an equal footing.

It won't prevent bullying totally, but at least gives the new guys a chance to become confident in the tank before the have to battle it out with the original owner.

Nap1611
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:14 AM
would it be much of a problem if the fish that I add are smaller than the discus currently in the tank?

Hollowman
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:16 AM
I am worried that you are thinking of adding new fish to an existing tank and not thinking of the potential of disease contamination.
We normally use a quarentine period of 4-6 weeks for observation and treatment before an introduction of a new fish. Try to read up on QT

hth

H

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:23 AM
Have you bought your fish yet or are you still looking at a new purchase.

Quarantine really is essential for all new fish. I've seen and heard of so many discus tanks that were a real paradise for 12 months or more, until the owner added a new discus without quarantine, then all he11 broke loose. The new fish brought with it some disease which wiped out the whole colony.

Do get a quarantine tank of some kind, even a big plastic tub from the $2 shop will serve the purpose, but it's a step you really can't skip.

Nap1611
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:35 AM
I haven't bought any yet... I was going to go and buy some tomorrow if I found 1 or 2 that i liked...

I have a 20" tank that i could set up next to the 4' as a quarantine tank, I suppose just leave it empty with heater and filter and that should be all I need... or will that be too small for this purpose?

Hollowman
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:38 AM
That will be fine. Make sure though that you try to use a different set of equipment for each tank. You cant risk even using the same nets, or wet hands from one to the other during this time. Leave the smaller tank as a bare bottom tank, it's easier to maintain. Just heater and sponge filter or mature filter should be ok.

Nap1611
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the help...

I'll plan on doing 4 weeks quarantine and then introducing to the main tank... which will give me a chance to make sure that all of the water chemistry is perfect before the introduction...

should work out well because for the next 4 weeks i'll be home most of the time so i will be able to look after them better....

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
Perfect :P

Hollowman
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 11:04 AM
Nap, sounds good.

When I feel that the fish have been observed during a qt period, and want to introduce them to our existing stock, I use a healthy but perhaps, not my best fish as a 'sacrificail lamb' and introduce this one to the qt and observe for at least a week. It will show if one has immunity to the other's contaninants. If there is no reaction, I feel the risk is minimal (although never 100%) and then add to my existing stock.
But please observe the fish well, and let us know if there are any changes ok.

hth

h :wink:

Nap1611
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 12:00 PM
thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you posted with pictures and reports on progress.

Cheers

Nap1611
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
I got 2 new red dragon discus today... they are going quite well in the 20' tank so far... not trying to hide away in the background....

ill post some picks soon...

Nap1611
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:28 AM
Little bit of a problem

I have discovered a slow leak in the quarantine tank....

the new discus have been there for a week and appear quiet healthy... so weird spots or behaivour

given that my tank has a leak would it be fine to cut the quarantine short??

Any thoughts?

Thanks

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 02:32 AM
Maybe grab a second hand tank from somewhere....One week is not really long enough...

Ado

Hollowman
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 06:49 PM
Maybe grab a second hand tank from somewhere....One week is not really long enough...

Ado

agreed

You could get yourself a large bucket, drain the qt tank, put the new fish in the bucket with an airstone and heater (carefully) get some aquatic silicon, mend the tank, leave to cure, refill, add fish

Nap1611
Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:58 PM
That sounds likes good idea. Might make a trip to bunnings today.