PDA

View Full Version : regain the spark

John H
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 03:05 AM
I have a breeding pair of Blue Diamons (male 17m)(female 14cm)
After many many unsuccessful and finally successful breeding attempts I have some 5cm blue diamonds.
Problem since the last batch app. 4 months ago, the pair has not spawned since. the last time was start of June end of May. water has had no great change to its parameters and i put it down to they just needed i break.As spring is arrived now and the day light hours have increase could this help the activity levels. Or is there a Discus love tonic?
tryed large and small water changes at different times on the day which use to encourage them, nothing. Any Help would be appreciated.
The pair have there own tank and have been together since January this Year.

Hollowman
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 08:37 AM
I think that sometimes they just need a break. I have has a few pairs that stopped for a while, so I put them back in the community tank with the other discus. Sometimes this can trigger the bond again. Alternatively, add another adult discus to the pair, this might also spur them to restart spawning.
I have also has sucess by lowering the temp a degree or two for a few days, or also reduce the conductivity.
Maybe condition your fish by feeding Brandlings (little red worms from a compost heap)

Several ways there, hope you have some luck.

Hollowman :D

John H
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 07:50 AM
Thankyou for the advice I'l try all of the mentioned,
Have you noiced if there is a corolation between daylight hours and discus breeding?

Hollowman
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 08:44 AM
John, I have found that most of my pairs have laid eggs in the late afternoon / evening. From what I have been told from many others, this seems to be their time. Not sure about a coralation between daylight hours and laying as summer or winter they will do it. Some are even convinced there is link between laying and the cycle of the moon.... who knows.??

H :?