PDA

View Full Version : Best Substrate

pkth
Fri Sep 19, 2008, 12:58 PM
Sorry i have posted the same questions a few times didn't know exactly where to put the question, so here it is again

I am looking to plant up my Discus tank before i buy my prospective occupants, just wondering which substrate people can recommend for planted aquaria?

I have been looking at 2 products in particular:
Seachem Flourite Black
Red Sea Flora Base

I am leaning towards Flora Base as it not only provides plant growth but buffers the water so PH is constant around 6.5-7 ideal i think for my Discus (not intending to breed so don't need really low PH)

Has anyone used Red Sea Flora Base and can offer any insights into it? Does it actually work well to buffer the PH?

Any other substrates on the market that are more suited to Discus? I would prefer a darker colour to contrast the bright colours of the Discus

Thanks
Paul

jesx57
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 04:02 AM
I use a simpler option of putting down a base of pea gravel, then applying fine white sand on top. Looks good, easier to remove debris from the bottom as it doesn't get embedded in the substrate as gravel does. I find gravel a real pain to clean, so that's why I use sand. Cories, dwarf cichlids and catfish love it, and it does damage the barbels on some fish like jagged gravel can. To buffer the pH, just put a small cupful of crushed coral in, depending on how many gallons your tank is. I have never seen these Flora base products, but I find that sand works fine. Adding the layer of gravel underneath gives the roots of the plants something to hold onto and establish. If you're worried about your plant growth, use some fertilizer tablets that are inserted into the substrate. They promote root establishment and give the fertilizer directly to the plant, not like liquid fertilizers.

Good luck, hope this is some use to you.

jesx57
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 04:04 AM
Sorry, I meant to say it DOESN'T damage the barbels of cories.

mcloughlin2
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 06:35 AM
Ok I can't offer advice on which is better for plants myself but i'd recommend checking out the threads started by Proteus when he was starting some planted tanks up. He covered pro's and con's for a few different substrates.

One note you should take into consideration is however that pigeon blood discus often develop more "peppering" when on a dark substrate.

peppermintman
Wed Sep 24, 2008, 10:18 PM
hi i used black 5mm sustrate and i found that the Discus turned darker colour than i wanted so I removed the substate and put in 2mm red and mixed with white same size and found all is good with the colour. The plants going great Lotus ect. If you use 3mm substate just remember only 2 inches thick only cause the compression of the grave will grow diseases in the gravel below. I have CO2 and fetliser tabs ( Root) insurted.My wip tails are a little white thats about it. Remember too thin algee grows too thick harmful bacterea preesent. Good Luck..