PDA

View Full Version : RSG will not eat

pink66
Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:43 PM
It is 7 days today since my RSG came home with my LSS. There are these 2 in the QT along with 2 much younger ones..

3 are eating greedily and are doing well, but the RSG will not eat.

So far I have tried: bh/seafood mix, discus bits, fdbw, algae discs, brine shrimp.. all with no luck :? :?

the newbies do not like the lighting. so i feed them with the lights off. (lights on makes them gather closely in the corner of the tank). I have treated for flukes and worms (as a standard QT thing).

All others in the tank have fins up at all times, he moves away from the food each time.. fins are down a bit and he is not displaying his lighter colours unless he does a lap of the tank.. Does not appear to be ill at all (i hope) just sulking.. I am open to suggestions????????

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 02:20 AM
Is he getting picked on at all by the other 3? Have you tried seperating him?

Ado

AHC
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 02:22 AM
Hi Sharon,

What were they being fed from the place you got them? Have you tried feeding in seperate parts of the tank? How bright is that light you have?

He/she could be stubborn. I would try feeding what they are used to and even dose with garlic guard. Getting him to eat is the first step and if they are healthy and treated then in most cases you will win and he will come around.

pink66
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 02:55 AM
Thanks Ado and Aaron

:banghead :banghead first rule of buying a new discus.... ask the shop what they have been eating.. just called them to find they have only ever eaten frozen bloodworm....Sometimes I am sure you concentrate soooo hard on getting it right that you miss the obvious questions...

Now I know this is ok for larger fish, but should I keep the littilies away from it??? (I am sure I read that in a post)

the lighting is a T8. I put it on for an hour at a time and at feeding time use the room lighting. I am slowly increasing the fluro until they become used to it.

He is the largest fish in the tank and no-one bothers him. Lucky for him he came home with exceptional weight so he has a bit of breathing space.

newsflash.. LSS scoffing FBW (first time I have seen her belly bulging out) and the RSG is out of his corner and checking out everything.. Even keeping the littlies away from the FBW.. I can only now sit with a cuppa and watch if he goes to the next step.

thanks again

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:17 AM
Great to hear. Mine love FBW too.

Ado

AHC
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:27 AM
Yeah i agree. Thats why its good to bounce things off the forum. This place is the best.

I dont feed blood worms anymore based on that they can easily transfer parasites etc to the fish. Do yourself a big favour if you havent already. Get some of Mal's freeze dried black worms. See the food section. Lots of protein and the fish LOVE them. PM Mal and im sure he will send you a sample.

For now, best to get some bloodies and get him eating. His already plump so you have that on your side. Slowely introduce your food to his diet (may even try feeding a little bit of both foods at the same time). You will win him over. Good luck :)

TW
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:48 AM
What about your home made beefheart - does he eat that?

I've read a couple of things about FBW, 1 - not much nutrition 2 - not good for babies (I don't know at what age this changes though).

It is a good start that he eats for you now.

pink66
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:57 AM
Aaron, FDBW from Mal are ace.. All my fish eat them (except for sulky) I have even added them into my bh/seafood mix.. I just wish he would eat them..

I have sat here for the best part of an hour now watching him and he has a go at the food (some brine shrimp swimming about) and misses :? :? :? how can a fish get this big and fat and miss food?????

I know that at this point it is a "discus mum's" paranoia but I am worried about him.. I may have to take a step back and not feed the tank for a day and then try again.

I soooo just want to grab him and force food down his throat :lol:

pink66
Wed Sep 17, 2008, 01:45 AM
Yesterday, he still did not touch the FBW but ate two whole brine shrimp.. Yeah it is a a start.

This morning he had one single nibble at a block of bh/seafood mix..mmmm maybe he is watching his weight :?

It may appear that he has more on his mind than food :wink: :wink: :wink: he seems to be taking more than a passing interest in one of the other inmates.. 8-) 8-). (I picked them because I liked them not because there was a boy and a girl, Finn may not be too happy with her new friends, we'll see :( )

Doesn't he know that if I cannot see that he is eating well then he will not escape.. No-one has ever escaped the QT (well not without my help anyway :lol: :lol: )

AHC
Wed Sep 17, 2008, 02:03 AM
Thats because, to them, QT is actually HQ for their reconnaissance work on world domination. :shock:

At one stage i thought i could hear my guys designing tactical weapons and strategies. It was a nervious time i tell you. :oops:

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
LOL Aaron :lol: :lol: