PDA

View Full Version : SICK DISCUS

Stevepet23
Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:40 PM
Hi all,

I did a regular water change last night & almost instantly one of my discus went dark, and acting weird. Its body started getting white things on it. Looks like wool & it is also over its eye. I did another water change about 1am this morning as when I got home it didn’t look too good. I tried to get all the readings but I couldn’t find my test kits last night so not sure what they are but all the other discus are fine, eating well & playing around. I will buy the test kit after work today. If anyone could help it would be highly appreciated. This is my favourite one out of all of them. Here are some pics which were taken last night. Sorry for the poor quality pics. Just incase this might have made a difference, I know you are supposed to age the water for at least 24 hours but I have never done this. I don’t age it at all & I have never had a problem but last night was the first time that I aged the water for about 48 hours, not sure if that has anything to do with it?

waitaki
Fri Sep 12, 2008, 10:27 AM
check the ph, if it might a little lower than usual it might be burning him. Did you remember to add water ager to the water before you topped up.
How did you go with the water readings?
Hope it is looking better today

Stevepet23
Sat Sep 13, 2008, 04:27 AM
Hi waitaki,

Fitrst of all thanks for your reply.

I was just told that the night i did the water change, the sick discus jumped out of the tank through a little gap in between the lid. It was out of the water for a couple of minutes. Could it have gotten infected by the carpet, dust or something? I took a sample of my water to a fish store & was told that the water was fine. The skin is now starting to peel off it but its eye seems to have healed. Is there anything else i can do to stop the skin peeling?? Any ideas?? Anyone??

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 13, 2008, 06:21 AM
Hi Steve, yeah, jumping out of the tank and flapping around on the floor for a few minutes would be enough of a shock for the fish to look off colour for a few days.

Don't worry about the skin peeling, it's normal after that kind of trauma.

Most fish recover really well after jumping out of a tank, so just wait and see and support the fish with lots of water changes and good food.

Tommo
Sat Sep 13, 2008, 07:14 AM
Don't Stress Mate............. Merrilyn Is Right ,And She Is 99.999999999999% Righ Of The Time ."Never Known Her To Be Wrong ,But You Can Not Give anyone 10 Out Of 10"

But If all Else Fails Throw All Your Freshwater Fish In The bin and go Marines !!!!

Cheers Tommo

Nitecongt
Mon Sep 15, 2008, 01:52 AM
I had a sick fish that resembles your pictures.

I used salts
and melafix (tea tree oil)

and after a month they cleaned right up. even that white cloudy eye.

Stevepet23
Mon Sep 15, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

The fish seems to be starting to act a little normal but its fins are starting to rot. Should i do something or will it heel on its own?

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Sep 15, 2008, 05:28 AM
Personally i would put him in a BB QT and keep his water as clean as possible until he is fully healed.

Ado

Stevepet23
Thu Sep 25, 2008, 04:27 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for all your help.

Besides a little part of the fin which had rotted, the discus has made a complete recovery & is looking beautiful once again. Thanks to all!!

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 25, 2008, 05:19 AM
That's great to hear.

Pleased he's doing so well :P