PDA

View Full Version : alittle help please

ocean hawk
Tue Jan 04, 2005, 02:54 AM
Hello, I am brand new to the discus realm. I am very interested in keeping about 6 so Im looking at a 55g. Now I have had a 125g tank for many years but all I have ever had is African or Central/South American cichlids. So I know basic fish points but my questions are these;

I am going to go BB because everyone on here seems to recommend this for starter tanks. So how much filtration should I go for? I notice that alot of people use sponge filters and a reserve/storage tank for water (which I plan to set-up). So What kind and how much filtration should I use with 6 Discus and a few potted plants and maybe some plants planted in drift wood? Thanks guys I have learned so much already on this forum and look forward to people's responces.

wyldchyld01
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 05:57 AM
hi and welcome to the forums,

bb tanks personally are much easier to maintain and clean, as for filtration well kinda the same thing, easy to clean and less fuss

i do know of a few folks who use canisters as well as or in place of the sponge filters but because i breed (well i try to get them to breed lol) discus i don't want the wrigglers to disapear up the intake pipe, also the fish-house i have is air driven so sponge filters (on bulk tank setups) is just cheaper and i can diy them myself when i need to install a new tank or repair a damaged filter

if you are just looking at show, then canisters provide good filtration and also gives you both mechanical and biological filtration and if your really worried you can attach pre filters (sponge)

as for how much, too much is never bad, too little and you'll just be doing a lot more water changes and more cleaning. uvs/uvc doesn't go astray either

i don't know if there is a formula for working out how much is needed, if someone else on the forum can advise on this side i too would be interested.

hope this helps a little, better if it's a lot he he he

Brenton