PDA

View Full Version : cycle

discusfantasy
Thu Sep 11, 2008, 03:17 AM
Hi All

I have had my 600ltr tank up and running now for 2 weeks. I am useing 2 external canisters (1800ltr hr each). I have used stress zyme & have had 8 mollies in tank for about 1 week but 3 have died.

My question is i have 12 adult discus comming in 2 days and i must put them in this tank. my nitrate is 0 still...will it be safe?

axl
Thu Sep 11, 2008, 06:14 AM
Have you got any ammonia readings in your tank???

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 11, 2008, 06:46 AM
Ammonia and nitrite will kill your fish. If it's killing the mollies, then it will kill the discus too.

It just isn't possible to dump 12 discus in an uncycled tank without having casualties.

You need some used filter media with the bio colony already alive and thriving, and doing their job of converting deadly ammonia and nitrite into harmless nitrate.

Either that or be prepared to change 100% of the tank water EVERY DAY for the next three months while the tank is cycling.

I've already offered you some used filter media from my own tanks.

discusfantasy
Thu Sep 11, 2008, 08:32 AM
i have no ammonia reading

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 11, 2008, 08:58 AM
Do you understand the meaning of a cycled tank?

I'm really concerned you're heading for a complete disaster.

Please read this sticky on tank cycling in Discus Keeping 101.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6598

senol
Wed Oct 29, 2008, 03:21 PM
Since, it seems like our friend here already made the arrangements and getting the discusses in 2 days for sure, could getting a already used sponge or some bacteria culture squezed from an already used sponge help this tank at all ? Otherwise i were him I would try to find somewhere else to put the fish for a month or so and get some more and hardy fish in the tank to help it cycle faster I guess.

TW
Wed Oct 29, 2008, 03:35 PM
Some LFS will board fish. That might be a temporary solution while the tank cycles.

Hollowman
Wed Oct 29, 2008, 06:25 PM
It's a recipe for disaster :roll: