PDA

View Full Version : Feeding discus when on the job

marchmaxima
Mon Sep 08, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hi,

I have never owned Discus before and have just bought a 4x4x2 with the intention of building a discus tank. After doing some research, my plans for a high-light planted tank with 6-8 juvies has been shelved in favour of a bare-bottom set up and anything else it takes to raise juvies the right way.

I've read what diets people are using and how often they require feeding. My question is aimed at anyone who can't be in the same physical location as the tank most of the day. How you practically manage the feeds? I assume auto-feeders are part of the solution, but since you vary the meals in terms of variety, do you set up one feeder for beefheart mix, one for flakes, one for something else, etc etc, and rotate these? If not, how do you do it?

I work full time in the city, and popping in home to feed the discus 4-6 times a day won't be an option.

axl
Mon Sep 08, 2008, 11:35 AM
feed first thing in the morning and then feed at night when you get home. The key is to offer as many different type of foods as possible, mix it up a bit. You should be alright, most important when young is to do regular wc so they grow up healthy and big
Cheers Axl

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Sharon.

Very few of us can be at home to feed juveniles or fry several times a day.

Make your wet feeds at the times when you are home, and while you're away, use auto feeders to feed flake or granules.

When I've got fry or juvies, I give them a feed of beefheart first thing in the morning, set the auto feeder to feed once or twice a day using small pellets or flake, then as soon as I'm home, they get a feed of frozen food, then last thing at night, they get another feed of beefheart.

Water changes are done every day.

You've definitely got the right idea with the bare bottom tank. Your youngsters will thank you for it, and you'll find it much easier to keep clean.

marchmaxima
Tue Sep 09, 2008, 04:05 AM
Thank you! and thanks for the welcome Merrilyn.

I'm quite happy to go BB for the sake of the fish if that is best for them. I want my fish to live long wonderful happy lives, so I've always tried to do the right thing when it comes to all my pets, fish included!

It actually works out really well because I can take my time in buying what I will need to turn it into a planted set up. I don't have to fork out a heap of money all at once on MH lights, CO2 cylinders, substrate, plants, etc....

With water changes, how much should I change out per day when growing out the juveniles? 10%? 20%? 50%? Do the daily changes scale back gradually as they get older or does it stay a daily thing until they are fully grown?