PDA

View Full Version : Gravel in a breeding tank and discus pairing up

tomahawk
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:01 AM
Is it ok to have a fine layer of gravel in a breeding tank ?

I am also interested to know, that when discus pairs up, does it becomes a dedicated lifetime pair or partners can change ?

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 07:39 AM
A bare bottom tank is much easier to clean, which is why we don't bother with gravel in the breeding tank.

Discus don't generally form lifetime bonds, although a few years ago I had a magnificent male blue turquoise who paired up in the community tank with a marlboro red female. Not a partnership I wanted to encourage, so he was put in the breeding tank with several different partners. None of the pairings were successful. He ignored every female.

Thinking he was probably a bit too young, I put him back into the community tank (where the female marlboro red resided) and within 2 days they were spawning on the filter intake. The fertile eggs soon turned into wrigglers and the pair valiantly tried to defend their fry from the rest of the tank inhabitants.

I rested the male for a month in the community tank before again putting him into a breeding tank with a partner of my choosing. Again he either ignored the females or bashed them.

Back into the community tank, and straight over to the love of his life and again they spawned 24 hours later.

In the end I gave up, and just left them together in the community tank.

It was kind of cute - a real Romeo and Juliet story, but that's the only time I've had it happen.

tomahawk
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks Merrilyn :-), ur helpful as always.. currently I have a single pair in my tank, u know, they laid eggs once for the first time last week, but made it snack after 2 days.. so I guess I should let this same pair continue for a few more years before thinking of introducing any more new discus in the same tank .. right ?

The other tankmates include 2 loaches and 2 ram.

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 10:17 AM
It's possible the loaches made a meal of the eggs :shock:

Other fish will make a meal of eggs or fry if they get a chance.

To them it's just a free snack :)

If you really want to breed this pair, they deserve a tank of their own.

tomahawk
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 12:12 PM
I removed the loaches as well as the ram's last time they laid eggs.. I will do the same again.

Should let this same pair continue for a few more years before thinking of introducing any more new discus in the same tank ?

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 05, 2008, 07:06 AM
Yes. Definitely keep going with this pair. At least for another 6 months or so before you think of swapping mates.

They've done a good job so far. I think it's just a matter of maturity.