PDA

View Full Version : How do I get clearer water?

Pletchetero
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 09:25 PM
My water never seems to be all that clear...
It seems to have little "particles" of something and almost completely green (which I know is algae).
I tried cleaning out the filter media a bit and taking apart my filters and washing them. I try to do daily water changes but nothing works.
Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

pink66
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hello Pletchetero,
to get a better picture of what you are trying to tackle would you mind posting how large your tank is and the type and size of filtration that you use and also the stock you have in it.. also, what area are you in and do you use tank water or town water..

this will assist everyone to have a think about your problem and come up with suggestions

nicholas76
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:49 AM
I agree with above.

But if I was to take a shot without knowing all that information about your set up,, have you considered carbon filtration?

taksan
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 10:15 AM
Green water = Get a UV

Pletchetero
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 07:39 PM
I know about UV sterilizers and all that. And I've gotten rid of the green water before. I just don't understand the constant particles no matter what I do.
It's a 55 gallon tank with 1 Emperor 400 and 1 Emperor 280 (I use 4 filter catridges for the 400 and 2 for the 280). Stocked with 3 discus, 1 german blue ram, 13 neons, and 1 black mystery snail. It also has live plants and sand substrate.
I live in Oklahoma City, OK and the water I use comes from the bathtub. Don't know the difference between tank water and town water.

Greggy
Fri Sep 05, 2008, 02:21 PM
You want cleaner water? Get an Eheim 2217 canister filter and pack it with quality media, with a few layers of fine filter floss at the top, and change the floss every week.

Don't bother with other cheaper canister filters (even though they are probably half the price of the Eheim) as they will not provide you with the results you are looking for.

Regards,

Greggy

Pletchetero
Fri Sep 05, 2008, 03:25 PM
How do they run for? Including all the filter media.
So I know what I'm working with.

bartek
Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:14 PM
Here in Australia you the eheim 2217 can be bought online for about AUS$230 including all media.

From what I have heard you should be able to get one for substatially cheaper in the US.

They are a great filter.

flgirl1977
Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:52 PM
Diatom filter

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 10, 2008, 11:02 AM
Diatom filters are great for polishing the water, but they're only designed to be run for around 24 hours before cleaning.

If you're looking for something to run 24/7 then an Eheim with some fine filter wool will be ideal.

If you already have a good canister filter, and just need to polish the water after water changes, then you can't do better than a diatom filter.