PDA

View Full Version : 16 mm hose

law_of_inertia
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm in the process of setting up my 6 x 2 x 2 and am thinking about buying a 36w uv off ebay. It says it will suit 16 mm hoses. I'm getting an eheim 2217 this week and was wondering if the uv will connect to the eheim hose, or if its too big or small- can i get a 16 mm attachment or something? Thanks

taksan
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:27 AM
Depends on the UV until most UV's have a hose tail you can saw off to suit many hose sizes.

law_of_inertia
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the fast reply, taksan. I guess i will go ahead and order the uv. Should it be connected to the intake or the output? I have found a couple of websites that sell eheim 16mm hose, and this uv is at a price i cant refuse so i guess i will give it a go..

taksan
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 12:39 PM
Output .... which is 12/16mm hose on a 2217
I ummmm wouldn't buy a cheap UV off Ebay because of the tendency of cheap Chinese versions on Ebay to ...Burn peoples houses down ...but give it a go by all means if your sure your smoke detector is working ok. The only cheap brand of UV I like is Pondmaster which are Chinese made but use Phillips ballasts and globes and you will be around $220 for a 36w pondmaster.

law_of_inertia
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hmm.. well, i dont really want my house to burn to the ground.. That factor definatley throws a spanner in the works.. The Uv i was thinking of getting off ebay isnt super cheap which made me think the quality couldnt be too bad. I still have awhile until i will be needing one though, so i might just save up that extra bit of dosh and buy a pondmaster from coburg. Thanks again for your help taksan.. I could have never imagined that potential hazard!

taksan
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 02:56 PM
Coburg?
You would be paying TOP dollar there.
Go to our sponsor Amazing Amazon and see Ben for a good deal.

nicholas76
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 06:06 AM
yeah id have to strongly agree with taks on those cheapos!

thank god i was in the room when my U/v decided to crack open,, cheap plastic crap.

law_of_inertia
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up, guys. I will definately consider the pond master.
I said i would go to coburg because its the closest LFS to me.. and it makes it harder to get around to all the other great aquariums seeing as i dont have a car at the moment, and can only borrow my house-mates car on odd occasions.. sorry, didnt mean to give you the story of my life.. Ha ha! But you should have seen the looks i got catching a bus and a tram with 25kgs of pool filter sand and a big piece of driftwood.. :shock:

taksan
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up, guys. I will definately consider the pond master.
I said i would go to coburg because its the closest LFS to me.. and it makes it harder to get around to all the other great aquariums seeing as i dont have a car at the moment, and can only borrow my house-mates car on odd occasions.. sorry, didnt mean to give you the story of my life.. Ha ha! But you should have seen the looks i got catching a bus and a tram with 25kgs of pool filter sand and a big piece of driftwood.. :shock:

The internet is your friend .... simply order online or over the phone will save you big $$$ on all kinds of stuff. Don't get me wrong I loved Coburg but Peter Long has retired and now its changed. You'll pay top $ @ Coburg ...for everything.

law_of_inertia
Fri Sep 05, 2008, 04:52 AM
Thats a good idea. I'll give that a go. Cheers buddy