PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Vac during Water Change or Not?

TimboS
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 04:30 AM
Hi All,

Was just wondering, given the discussion on water quality and so forth, whether gravel vacuuming is actually something that can be left out during a water change.

Some say watch the amount of food going in, etc, and leave the substrate (of whatever type) alone - just change the water. This is to avoid disturbing any so called nitrate "pockets" that may be in the substrate and thus stops them from being released when vacuuming. Others say it's absolutely necessary to vacuum with every water change. Granted, you would normally think that if you do release some sort of nitrate concentration while vacuuming, you would suck most of it out, but I suspect not since it would disperse in the water pretty quickly...

I have just added another medium sized theme ornament and piece of driftwood to my tank and this of course takes up real estate, and makes it harder to get a gravel vac in to clean. Of course, in this case, I would rather do away with vacumming for ease of maintenance. Note however, that prior to these new additions, when stirred up, the substrate in my tank would release all sorts of gunk like decomposing wood, but it settled or filtered out fairly quick and so I believe quite strongly I am keeping things as clean as possible - after all, you can't take out your driftwood and clean it everyday (or do some actually do even that?!)

At the end of the day, if you do watch out for how much food is going into the tank, is it OK to leave the substrate alone and perhaps vac once in every four changes or thereabouts, or completely, under the assumption that stirring up the substrate is doing more harm than good?

Go easy on me - it may seem like a silly question but perhaps the authorities on water chemistry and quality can set the record straight about this business of nitrate "pockets" and any ramifications.

TimboS

Big Daddy1
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 08:58 PM
Bottom line, fanaticism.

Nitrate pockets are associated with undergravel filters. If you do not have an undergravel filter, no real need to worry.

Gravel vaccuming is a major factor in keeping TDS down. Gravel vaccuming is a good thing and I personally recommend the practice.

No way do you have to gravel vaccum with every water change, depending.

Bare bottom:
I would "gravel vac" the left over food at the bottom of a bare tank after 5-10 minutes everytime.

Show:
Depends on how often you do a w/c. If just once a week, yes gravel vac everytime. If 3 times a week like myself; vac, no vac, vac. I also have bottom feeders, this has a difference as food is consumed down there vice rotting.

I feed 2-3x daily what the fish consume in five minutes.

The all sorts of decomposing wood is most likely fish stool. I never take the driftwood out of the tank and clean it nor would I recommend it.

pink66
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:10 PM
good call DB1. In my BB QT, I vac up the leftover food and fish deposits. But in my display tank I always tackle the gravel once a week. (trust me it is not decomposing driftwood). It is easy to tackle the sand as you can see where the mess is.. The gravel hides it and needs to be cleaned. I dont know about your fishies but mine stick around the gravel vac looking for food..

:: in my chiclid tank I have heaps of wood and I would never think of cleaning it.. That tank is more heavily stocked than my discus tank at the moment and it can get lots of the "brown stuff" so doing a vac is the only way to cope with it.. the timber is never a question but I do move it around about once a month or so just to make sure I have got the gravel under it clean.. (they like this, they all spend the next few days checking out all the new homes)

I am not sure if you have an undergravel filter or not but from personal experience (I used to have one in the chiclid tank (I know.... very very silly - left over from a small fish community tank) my gravel was always clean and then I removed the UG filter.. YUK.. I will never, never, never have one again..

doing the vac along with waterchanges helps to keep the water in tip top condition for the fishies to swim around in..
:wink: :wink:

TimboS
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for these responses.

I am indeed running an external cannister filter.

In short, I thought it was recommended but if you don't ask, you don't know. I have been vacuuming with every water change so I'll simply keep it up.

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:40 AM
ggravel vac every water change! it remove un eaten food and excess waste.

peppermintman
Sat Sep 27, 2008, 03:29 AM
I just want to know if the wood you have in the tank takes up gravel space the best idea is to elevate the wood off the gravel cause the build up of diesese under neath Personal i only vacumm 3inches away from plants, cause of the root system. I only gravel clean three times a year cause i use a bacteria chemical builder product. The product is called Pro-Bac. It seems to work for me. This is a good descusion.

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Sep 27, 2008, 10:02 AM
Vac every WC.........

Ado