PDA

View Full Version : Heiko Bleher Arrested

mistakes r crucial
Mon Sep 01, 2008, 11:32 PM
I've just received an email from the UK Discus Forum with a link to a Yahoo article that states Bleher has been arrested at Manaus airport together with his photographer, Natália Khardina, for allegedly trying to smuggle 10 sets of Amazonian fish on to a flight to Miami.

Being a world renowned fish enthusiast and researcher I'm sure it was an oversight on his part. They must have jumped straight in to his bag without him knowing.:lol:

Article here (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjbonline.terra.com.br%2Fextra%2 F2008%2F08%2F30%2Fe30088027.html&lp=pt_en&btnTrUrl=Translate)

Cheers
MAC

waitaki
Mon Sep 01, 2008, 11:57 PM
oh that is disappointing to read
I hope there are half truths as per usual with journalism and he is acquitted

dthomo
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 12:30 AM
I found this article aswell.

Manaus (29/08/08) - Work joint investigation of IBAMA and federal police resulted in the arrest of Heiko Bleher, German researcher based in Italy, while trying to board today to Milan, Italy, Eduardo Gomes at the airport in Manaus, with samples of tissue of fish in alcohol without any environmental permit.

The researcher, which sets out projects, publications and mailings on the Internet, was being investigated for a year by IBAMA and PF that accompanied the steps of German, suspicious of the practice of biopiracy. By knowing that he would leave the country, officials of IBAMA and the police decided revistá it at the time of shipment and made the blatant transport of products of animal life without environmental permit. Heiko and a companion were arrested and driven to the office of the Federal Police of Manaus. At the headquarters of the FP, the couple's luggage was examined. Here, the police found two bags with fish fixed in formalin and alcohol.

According to the Environmental Analyst James Bessa, the Fishery Resource Center of the Superintendency of Ibama in Amazonas, all the material was seized and vai be sent to the National Institute for Research of the Amazon (INPA) for completion of expertise. "They are in most tissues of ornamental fish collected this month, the Araca rivers, the Demini River Basin and the Black River Basin Jutaí of the Upper Solimões." Were also retained expertise to a personal computer, cameras and video equipment for measuring found with the researcher.

Bessa shows that some of the seized are still unknown species of Science. The IBAMA awaits outcome of the report for drawing up the Autos of Violation by collecting and transporting material of wildlife without a license and attempting to leave the country with genetic material not approved, according to the Federal Decree 6.514/08 and 5459/05.

He warns foreign researchers to obtain license of National Research Council (CNPQ) of the Ministry of Science and Technology. If access to genetic heritage has for the purpose of conducting research with potential economic use, as bioprospecting or technological development or involve access to associated traditional knowledge, who is authorizing the Board of Management of Genetic Heritage (CGEN). If access to genetic heritage has for the purpose of conducting scientific research with potential for economic use and does not involve access to associated traditional knowledge, who is authorizing the IBAMA, through the permit system and information on Biodiversity (SISBIO).

Kezia Macedo - Ascom Supervisory IBAMA

Ben
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 12:25 AM
Ludicrous!

taksan
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 11:25 AM
He just got released from Jail about 3 hours ago ....

BSW
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 12:30 PM
Yes he's released -
A message from him on Simply -

Hi guys,

yes I am out with natasha after 3 and a half days in what I think must be the worts prsion on plante Earth (although I fortunately I have never seen another one, but being dressed with a short, without anything else in a room with 3 criminals of the worst kind and flooded, without air and food to vomit, how mucgh wors can it be and it was built 3 yearts ago without a water run-off...);

Anyhow I surely will write abot this unhuman thing; but let me tell you all that it is amazing what untrue stements are given in the media (and by some in the internet) WITHOUT knowing the facts = even IBAMA and the Federal Police make several false statements about it, probably to justify there wrong doiung and naturally with me imprisoned to get another medal... while deforestation has increased by 20% (from last year) and the real criminals are running free, those which take in billions from theiur government... But with me they claim to have abig fish.

I will now not go into details, as I have no time, but you will here (much) more of this. And the truth. Ande NOT what those organs claim.

I want to thank everyone here who wrote so positive and all the very best

always Heiko, always in catalogiung the biodiversity more of this planet.