PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus trouble with IDing the problem

Bravehearted
Mon Sep 01, 2008, 10:12 PM
hi everyone

My discus a month ago became really sick.
I started treating them with metro, prazi, and clout, melafix and primfix, but no results. This is different because I haven't found feces to be stringy with eggs like capillaria, and they is no excess slime coat like hex. the discus are darken however its not a blacken of the body, rather the discus is a pale white almost tranparent. The parts that are blue (they are red turq and a brillant turq) are very black.

anybody have any idea what this is? and how to treat it?
thanks

waitaki
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 12:01 AM
Hi braveheart - first thing check the water parameters and post them p on the site. Also if you can tell us how long you have had them the size of the tank, tank mates etc everthing helps. How often you do water changes?
Hopefully with all that information we will be able to help. For now the best thing you can do for them is to do big water changes, clean water is a good start to get your discus healthy

Bravehearted
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 12:16 PM
everything is 0 ppm, and the pH is 7.6 which I know is high but its actually the same pH they been in all their life. The tank is a 55 with cories, cardinals, and other small tetra like fish. My water is fine and is very stable . I do close to a 100 percent water changes weekly, and during their sickness almost everyday

thanks

scott bowler
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:01 AM
hi bravehearted how long has you tank ben running? and have you cleaned your filter out lately, also do you have any ammonia ,ad what is your temp?

Bravehearted
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 12:54 PM
My tank had been established for three years, no ammonia, and is at 84 degrees F. I had these guys for 6 months and all of a sudden this happened.

thanks

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 06:43 AM
Are these the same fish that you treated with metro, prazi and clout a month ago? Or are these new fish?

Can you give us a full rundown on what symptoms you saw before the metro and clout treatment, how long you treated for, and if the fish showed signs of recovery after treatment?

I'm asking because you've already used some pretty strong drugs, and if that hasn't cured them, I'm not sure where you can go from here.

Are the fish still eating and passing droppings normally?

Bravehearted
Thu Sep 04, 2008, 12:49 PM
This is the same two discus. About two months ago I noticed the red tuq was a little darker then normal, and was never eating. So I start using Metro, after a about two week it seem like it got worse. Then the brillant turq started showing the same signs of illness, except they got darker with no appettite and I rarely observed feces, when I did it was like a clear tube, and sometimes it was regular feces. Then I started using prazi and then they got this wierd coloration, the body changed to like a transparent pale color, almost white, and the area that were blue were dark black. After a week I decided to add clout along with the metro and prazi that I had been using. then after another week of no change I added melafix and primfix.
Right now they haven't changed in condition. I don't know what to do. Water changes were always don't frequently, when they got sick I did the water changes every seven days. They still are full bodied exact very skinny.

thanks,

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 05, 2008, 07:21 AM
That's quite some cocktail of medications you've used.

I do hope you did a huge water change between changing to different meds and filtered your water over carbon to remove all traces of the previous medication. It's really important to never mix medications unless under the advice of a vet.

My suggestion now is to do daily water changes of at least 20% of the tank volume. DO NOT add any medications of any kind for at least a month. Just rest them with good water conditions, some live food like live brine shrimp or live blackworms to encourage their appetite, and increase the temperature to 30 degrees.

Fish that have been over medicated are often reluctant to eat, so you must do everything possible to try to encourage them, or they will starve themselves to death.