PDA

View Full Version : Food Research!!! Creatine Supplement

skmdmasud
Sun Aug 31, 2008, 05:55 AM
Fish Food Supplemented with Creatine May Enhance Swimming Endurance

Ref: http://cafnr.missouri.edu/research/fish-creatine.php

You can read the full article in the above link.

By Jason Jenkins
Creatine, the performance-enhancing supplement made famous by Mark McGwire when he broke Roger Maris' single-season homerun record in 1998, may also enhance the growth and endurance of some fish species, University of Missouri researchers said

"Creatine doesn't make you stronger or bigger by itself, but it helps the system work better to get stronger or bigger," he said. "It's one of the first energy reserves for muscle contraction and essentially enhances the actions of exercise."

As we all know that Creatine is one the most used food supplement for body building it is even legal in olympics sports. A google search on this topic will give you all the info.

My Input --> I fed creatine (the one used for body building) to my discus with beafheart for few weeks, dont know how beneficial it was to the fish, that is why i am asking the experts what is their idea or thought about creatine in discus food.

Masud.

zar
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 02:51 AM
Masud,

even for human consumption, creatine is a pretty new supplement and there is no long term studies on it because it's use has started not too long ago. I know a friend of mine who used to take it to gain mass while doing gym he did some research on it and he did find some reports or studies that for example people who regularly took creatine were more prone to muscle cramps, muscle tears, and it wasn't too good for your liver or kidneys either.
One positive from creatine is that it increases your memory capacity, some people take it before exams during their studies :)

I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you how much exactly or if you should at all feed your discus creatine. And I really doubt that someone has done some scientific study on creatine usage with discus, maybe other fish?

skmdmasud
Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Zar,
Since creatine are used for human muscle buildup it is also used in some dog foods. Long term will depend on so many other factors. Universities are doing research which means they must have found something, so if we the forum members contributes then we might come up with something new which will give improve health and growth of our discus. I tried it on all my fishes they simply love it. I fed it to Tetra, Angels, Parrot, Mollies, Discus.

Some facts about creatine :-
If you overfeed it will pass out by urine.
creatine increases sperm production (something with testorone dont remember clearly)