PDA

View Full Version : PLease Help Me...

DiscusD
Mon Jan 03, 2005, 03:53 AM
Here Are My Quesions, answer any of them as you can:
-What's the maximun size, length including tail fin, have you seen your largest discus grow to?
-What's the difference between Aquarium salt, Table salt, and epson salt, and how are they used in our tanks?
-Is an RO system widely used? How much is a dependable RO machine and how important is it? Who has one?
-How old can a discus live for, compared to an angelfish?
-What's the importance of having 50% and frequent water changes? Does it allow the fish to have constant minerals and whatever stuff it needs from new water?

bob
Mon Jan 03, 2005, 06:27 AM
i use all ro/di water look on ebay i use a buffer and a reglulater and chan
ge a lot of water 10% every other day 50%every 7 days or so

chris
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:51 AM
Hey there Chris here .

My biggest discus fish is about 5" But in my LFS ive seen one about 7''.

Not sure about table salt to marine salt interested to know?

RO units are used to help with water purities, fortunatley Adelaide tap water Ok with a little work...

Aparentley 10 years life expentancey with discus, my LFS has had one up to 13 years....

Doing 50% water changes every couple of days can result in new Tank syndrome,
I change water every 7 to 10 days 30%, what works for me may not work for you, find a routine and stick to.
You can PM me if you would like so further advise or exampes?

Robbies Discus
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 05:34 AM
Table salt has got added Iodine which IS dangerous to fish. Marine salt does not have the added Iodine. It is also safe to use Non-Iodised salt. Epson salt's I'm not really sure on, but I've heard that they're used in disease treatments :D
HTH

africandiscus
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 05:54 AM
Doing 50% water changes every couple of days can result in new Tank syndrome

What is that?

weird
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 05:56 AM
Doing 50% water changes every couple of days can result in new Tank syndrome, :shock:

Your filters contain the good bacteria , not the water ... 50% water changes everyday is great as long as the water has been properly conditioned/aged and is at the same ph and temperature as the tank water.

If you want to increase baby growth rate 50% daily water change is ideal.

Amount and number of water changes you require depend on quite a few variables ... size of tank, number of fish, how heavy you are feeding, plants, etc. :lol: :lol:

Kaza
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 08:49 AM
Why are 50% water changes ideal to make babies grow? Surely if you are using a good canister filter then every second day would be enough.

weird
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 10:23 AM
Breeders usually want to get babies as big as possible as quickly as possible. I have heard in asia they do as many as 2 x 50% water changes a day.

I read and I hope I have it right that there are 2 theories why water changes increase growth, one is that fish give off a hormone that restricts the growth of a fish to its surroundings (so doing a water change reduces the amount of this hormone in the water) and the other is that ammonia (or nitrite or nitrate ... I would have to go fishing for the post ... it is in here somewhere in the discusforums) inhibits fish growth. Neither of these may be true. Either way water changes have a directly positive affect on fish growth.

There was a poll within these forums that asked how many water changes do you do, the everyday group which I am part of was not the highest scoring group ... so to successfully keep and raise discus you don't have to do water changes everyday ... every 2nd day or twice a week should be fine ... but it depends on the other factors mentioned ... just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite.

weird
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 10:43 AM
Check out Kevs post

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1131&highlight=hormone

DiscusMan
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 12:39 PM
Ok an experiment in imagination.

OK now you eat 3 meals a day of high growth rate food maybe baked beans cabbage pumpkin.

You are locked in a room with the same air. How long with it take you to want to leave the room with you doing all you gaseous release and other stuff in the room.

I see changing water is like putting fresh air into the tank. Like the feeling humans get when they smell the air after rain. It is great, fresh water does this to fish.

Wayne

DIY
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 01:14 PM
Phheeeeewwwww :oops:

I'm not the best at imagination but my eye's are watering thinking about it

Whats worse is the room your locked in would have to be the bathroom / toilet. :shock:

Trebs
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 04:01 AM
I just picked up a 7inch blue diamond(8.5 with tail).

DiscusD
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 05:54 AM
I just picked up a 7inch blue diamond for free this morning. score.

What does this have to do with our topic? :roll:
anyways, good advice guys and gals, I mainly thought that frequent water changes added new minerals into the water and help speed things up?

kalebjarrod
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 09:02 AM
-What's the maximun size, length including tail fin, have you seen your largest discus grow to?

about the size of your hand, 12-15cm although none this big at the moment

-What's the difference between Aquarium salt, Table salt, and epson salt, and how are they used in our tanks?

Aquarium salt is pure sea salt (i think) used in medicating and other aquarium tasks, Table salt goes on my potatos, epson salts are used for constaption in discus also used as a fertilzer in poor mans doseing drops

-Is an RO system widely used? How much is a dependable RO machine and how important is it? Who has one?

RO's are used in areas with much harder water then most of oz, iuf you use bore water in your tanks RO is essential, no idea how much they cost, i have not got one

-How old can a discus live for, compared to an angelfish?

i have hear of them living up to 12 years, i am unsure of angels

-What's the importance of having 50% and frequent water changes? Does it allow the fish to have constant minerals and whatever stuff it needs from new water?

simpley the amount of waste produce from discus due to thier small digestive trac requires quailty water, the easiest way to replicate these conditions is regular water changes

wanye, love the cabbage comments LMAO