PDA

View Full Version : bubbles on the surface at the tank edges, and, tubing issue

TimboS
Wed Aug 27, 2008, 04:03 AM
Hi All,

Over the last couple of months I have been noticing that a fair bit of bubbles are forming on the surface against the tank walls.

I no longer use an airstone to agititate the water surface but rather a small AquaOne 101 filter (with zeocarb in it), and it gets almost all of the surface constantly moving - at least the bits where the bubbles are forming.

I am thinking that the water quality in North East Adelaide may have something to do with it unless I am overlooking a simple reason. My Nitrates are generally less than 15ppm, pH about neutral give or take 0.2 units, GH about 8 degrees and KH 0-2 degrees (and the latter two have been that way for at least a couple of years).

Is it salt related I wonder? I am not sure how though given the stability of my GH and KH. Note that I use UV to kill the baddies off and do frequent water changes but use nothing as sophisticated as reverse osmosis.

????

On a seperate issue, but something related to my last post about diatoms in this section of the forums, I have also noticed that the time it takes for nice, new filter tubing to start colonising bacteria (and thus form those brown sludgy looking spots on the inside of the tubing, almost like small clumps of spores) is rapidly decreasing. This of course restricts flow and means more frequent cleaning, but why would the tubing get so "dirty" so quick? It becomes an eyesore, and fast (perhaps 4-5 weeks). Also a water quality issue I wonder?

TimboS

TimboS
Wed Aug 27, 2008, 06:47 AM
From a bit of questioning and self-reading I think the bubbles are due to a surface film of protein. That makes sense because there is a slight oil slick on the tank surface (and I forgot to mention it!). Looks like it's time to fabricate a surface skimmer. BTW, I feed only Hikari Bloodworms and Spirulina Brine Shrimp and would be interested to know if anyone else feeding these products is experiencing a similar effect (for curiosity's sake only).

Haven't figured out the second issue yet though.

TimboS
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 06:08 AM
No one has any ideas about the tubing?

Anything at all?

nicholas76
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 08:12 AM
gday timbo.

yeah your right about the bubbles. Excessive protien probbaly due to over feeding or feeding food that have to much of stuff! e.g your own beef heart mix.

in relation to skimming fresh water, you would be better of if you utilised carbon in a cannister filter.

Regards

Nick

Greggy
Tue Sep 02, 2008, 03:28 PM
I run an Eheim surface skimmer on my planted 6x2x2 Discus tank and it does a brilliant job of removing the protein 'scum' on the surface of the water. I would NEVER go back and run a planted tank without one now. The Eheim skimmer needs to be configured 'just right' in terms of flow rate etc but once you get it set up it auto adjusts for variations in water level and you just need to remove the odd small leaves that sometimes get stuck in the two floating inlet tubes. Over all it is very easy to look after and the difference to the surface level water quality is night & day!

Regards,

Greggy