PDA

View Full Version : How should I finish a raw pine aquarium cabinet

flaggy
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 05:18 AM
Hi guys, I am thinking of buying a raw pine aquarium cabinet, but am not sure what's the best / easiest way to finish it. Would it be too much bother to stain it or should I just paint it black? What would you do?

Cheers

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 06:53 AM
just paint it with an oil based paint paint you'll get a nice gloss finish that practicly water proof if you do it properly.

flaggy
Tue Aug 26, 2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks Illusn

Do you (or anyone else) know of any good cabinet makers who are able to make aquarium cabinets? I wonder if it is cheaper to buy direct from the cabinet makers rather than the LFSs...

Cheers

norto
Tue Aug 26, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hey flaggy,
In a previous occupation I used to make wooden stands for ceramic water dispensers, i used to finish them with a product from Bunnings which is a stain and an estapol all in one, with a couple of coates they used to come out sensational but I used to apply it with a spray gun.... if you don't have a spray gun you can just use a brush but make sure it has fine brissels and it should come up great.
Regards,
Norto.

Doug Osborn
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 12:12 PM
I think it probably depends on the finish you're after. Waterproofing is certainly a major consideration, but appearance possibly is also (depending on the intended purpose of the tank).

I'm doing exactly the same with a 6'*2' stand and hood at the moment. I chose a finish ("Australian Jarrah") that my wife agreed to :) which requires staining then three layers of "cabothane". Doing it all by hand with sand paper and paint brush, taking ages.

Cheers,
Doug

rwel4809
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks Illusn

Do you (or anyone else) know of any good cabinet makers who are able to make aquarium cabinets? I wonder if it is cheaper to buy direct from the cabinet makers rather than the LFSs...

Cheers

I had my cabinet and tank made by a guy in western sydney, near campbelltown.. He was quite cheap and I was really happy with it. I'll PM you the details...

R

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 08:10 AM
Ummmmm...I think he has probably sorted it out by now...;)

Ado

flaggy
Tue Nov 04, 2008, 09:00 AM
hey, thanks guys... my plans are on hold for now till after xmas so i can plan my 5 x 2 x 2 properly. definitely still useful information though.

cheers
flaggy