PDA

View Full Version : Cant get my temp up in my tank??

axl
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:04 AM
Hi,
i have currently got 2 x 300w heaters in a 430ltr planted discus tank, 1 in each in end. The temp only gets to around 24.7 and i would like it up to 28. It is very cold up here in Hrosham in winter, do ya think i need to add another 300w heater to the middle of the tank becuase there set to 32 at the moment. Any idears??

Cheers Axl

ChrisEddy85
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:48 AM
I would imagine that those two would be able to do the trick. Might be the quality of the heater, but shouldn't make that much difference if they're new. Otherwise the tank might not be circulating enough, which could cause the thermostats on the heaters to keep shutting them off. Check the temp around other areas of the tank for hotspots.

Big Daddy1
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 03:39 AM
Make sure they are not straight up and down if they are submersable and not next to each other. I place them horizontally along the back. Also make sure the have water flowing by them. I have one 300W in a 90g and it works with ease. You shouldn't be having problems at all.

Also, check the temp with more than one method, your first method might not be reading acurately.

Oh ya, place them as low as you reasonably can.

axl
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all your help, they are straight up and down so i will move them to just bellow the outlet of the filter and change them to horiztonal. will see how that goes.