PDA

View Full Version : adding discus

njx3
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 01:12 PM
This probably old hat to many of you...but I just added two new discus to my well planted 55 gallon. I have tetras, small catfish and one beautiful powder blue discus.

The two new guys (I think they're guys) are smaller than the established fellow and he is chasing them all over the place. Not actually nipping at them, but generally harrassing them.

I have tried moving things around in the tank, but it hasn't stopped him.

Is there anything I can try, or am I doomed to only ever having one discus in this tank?

Thanks.

heckelboy
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 01:21 PM
You need more fish. 3 discus is not enough, too much politics.

weird
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 01:25 PM
I would try adding another discus to the tank.

I think 6 is a nice number, but for a 55 gallon tank, I would probably not have more than 4 adult discus. How old and what size are the discus ?

Post a pic of your tank would be great. Luv pics.

:D :D

jim from sydney
Tue Jan 04, 2005, 10:31 AM
The two new guys (I think they're guys) are smaller than the established fellow and he is chasing them all over the place. Not actually nipping at them, but generally harrassing them.

Do we have similar problems??????

I introduced 3 new discus ( about 6/7 months old) to my tank with 14 others (3/4 months old) one of the new ones is showing aggression, wants to be "boss man" i think. it scared the daylight out of 4 of the younger ones in that it belted them around the tank and smashed them into the glass until they literally died. is this normal and how can i possibly control this in future????? "HELP PLEASE"
Tank size 140 liters.
thanks .....cheers....Jim