PDA

View Full Version : aqua scaping

lpiasente
Sun Aug 24, 2008, 06:15 AM
Well I had my first attemp at scaping my tank yesterday. I did have plants in before but just I shoved them in anywhere. After seeing everyone elses on here I thought I'd have a go.Went shopping yesterday and gave the credit card a hiding, it was great. Well I gutted the whole thing except the substrate. Added driftwood rocks created different levels and had a ball. I will post some pics tomorrow when it is all cleared. Three of my discus are hiding and not comming out at all. Could it be they are stressed from me being in their tank all day yesterday and today or because I have changed their tank completely?

lpiasente
Sun Aug 24, 2008, 09:06 AM
A couple of them have stringy bits hanging off them. Is that them shedding their slime coat from stress? Water conditions are all still the same except I added dino dung under the gravel and it made the water cloudy. That shouldn't have made any difference should it?

AHC
Sun Aug 24, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hi Mate,

Are the stingy bit hanging from their bum? If so it sounds like worms. When was the last worming?

As for the hiding, the work you have done can stress them out so they are probably just calming down. keep up the water changes and treat for worms.

lpiasente
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 05:38 AM
No it was from the top fin. It has all gone now and they are out and about looking fine. I think I did upset them being in their tank. I just panic a little bit.

AHC
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 05:41 AM
Good to hear. :lol:

lpiasente
Mon Aug 25, 2008, 08:36 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/lpiasente/DSCF2602.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/lpiasente/DSCF2600.jpg

lpiasente
Tue Aug 26, 2008, 11:47 PM
I wedged twited and turned to get that bit of driftwood in there and it is too big for the tank. I thought it would be a good bit as it has t it lots of holes in it, the clown loaches and bristle nose love it. Now I can't get it out unless I remove the bracing. It provides a good hiding spot over the back if anyone needs it but it doesn't look very good. Never mind, I am stuck with it for now. :roll: .

pink66
Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:02 AM
Looks lovely.. You must be very happy with the tank.. (The fish look like they are enjoying it as well)

:lol: :lol:

lpiasente
Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks Sharon.I ended up taking the big amazon sword out and shifting the 2 smaller ones and it looks heaps better. The tank before was chocka block with swords and crypts and it looked like an over grown jungle. Great for a community tank but not for the discus, they definatly like having it more opened.

heavyd
Thu Aug 28, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hey that looks great! Love the driftwood....will the plants underneath get enough light?

lpiasente
Fri Aug 29, 2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks. I took the big sword out and moved the smaller ones so they will get enough light. The swords and crypts seem to grow quite well shaded.
Don't you think the driftwood is too big?

heavyd
Sat Aug 30, 2008, 07:54 AM
I dont think it's too big at the moment. Might be as the discus grow.

I used to have a large synthetic rock in my tank, but had to remove it when the discus started hiding behind it......permanently!

lpiasente
Sat Aug 30, 2008, 08:58 AM
I am getting a 5x2x2 later on in the year so the discus should be good in there and the wood won't look soooooo big.