PDA

View Full Version : scales falling off snakeskin

waitaki
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 01:19 AM
Hi Guys one of my snakeskins is losing his scales and is sitting on his tail
at first I thougt he had scraped himself on the driftwood, but this morning I noticed it is worse.
I am just going to set up the hospital tank for him now.
what should I treat him with, I'll get some pics once I separate him, he is hiding
thanks
Janice
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/tuataress/untitled-1.jpg

waitaki
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 01:48 AM
ok I think it is from ph burn, I've had a ph crash in the community tank, it is at 5.6 at the moment, it did drop to 4.9 on monday I have been doing water changes to correct, will do a big 50% today and still move the snakeskin he looks like he is in pain

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 07:09 AM
He looks pretty miserable, doesn't he.

A pH crash is something that can happen any time with Australia's very soft water. You can prevent it happening by buying some Coral Bone from your local aquarium shop (any shop that sells marine fish will cary it) and adding about 2 cups to your external filter.

As it dissolves, it will gradually add minerals and carbonates to your water, which will keep the pH stable. In other words, it will make your water harder, which is just what we want.

You can still leave the sick fish in the main tank, but gently buffer the pH by using Sodium Bicarbonate (Bi-Carb Soda) found in the baking section of your supermarket (white box with blue writing).

Add two teaspoons of bi-carb soda every 4 hours to gently increase the pH. We want it to take at least 48 hours to bring it back up to 6.5 or 7. A quick increase is as harmful to your fish as the pH drop, so gently does it.

Your fish should make a full recovery.

Good luck and don't hesitate if you need any further assistance.

ChrisEddy85
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 07:36 AM
Merrilyn,

I thought discus needed soft water? Unfortunately my water here in perth is very hard to begin with, so i'm thinking of adding peat (probably the eheim one) to the filtration to help lower it. I tested my tap water and got around 30-60ppm for GH and 80ppm KH.

waitaki
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 09:28 AM
Yes Chriseddy the water is hard in Perth, but lately I have noticed some swings in the ph reading, usually it is 7.6 but I have noticed the tap water being 7. but something has made mine really drop, I have cleaned out the filters and am hoping that will help.
So Merrilyn thanks but here in Perth the best way to increase the ph is 'just add water' unadultered. The ph is now reading 6.4. I have left him in the main tank for now and see how he goes.
I have added 4 tbls of salt for now (400ltr) tank, if it doesn't burn him too much I'll add some more later.

Do you suggest using melafix or pimafix at all? I don't want to go down the antibiotics track if I can avoid it.

ChrisEddy85
Sat Aug 23, 2008, 10:54 AM
My tap water here is really bad. Apparently is really high in chlorine and heavy metals. I'm in Quinns Rocks, and a percentage of the water comes through the old pipes. My water is really high in hardness, although it generally buffers down to a 6.8pH. It was as low as 6.5 a few months ago, but never seen it about about 7.2.

waitaki
Thu Aug 28, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Just thought I'd update you on progress...
He is in a hospital tank as the ph is still crashing after water changes in the main tank.
His scales are growing back as you can see in the picture, 50% wc daily, salt, melafix and pimafix in the water seems to be doing wonders!
Will move him back with his friends as soon I sort out the ph problem - will have to taken Merrilyn's advice and have crushed coral on order... unlikely cure for Perth water!! I have to clean out the filter again this weekend.
What are the reasons for ph crashes?
Thanks for help
Janice
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/tuataress/DSC01759.jpg